[comp.sys.apple2] Problem with a Supra Modem 2400.

bar5834@cuphub.cup.edu (Pestilence) (07/02/90)

Hello folks, got a bit of a technical problem that I'd like to throw out
to the net before I bother calling the company...

I have a Supra Modem 2400 with a standard 25-wire RS-232 cable connected
to a Super Serial Card.  When I bought the thing, I soon noticed that the
only response the modem would give would be "OK" after an `atz' command,
and occasionally a "RING."  The cute thing is that it won't print anything
that I type in, nor will it give any "CONNECT x" strings, etc.

A couple of days ago, it suddenly starting working perfectly. Every-
thing I typed in echoed to the screen, all modem string would print, etc.
This, however, only lasted 2 days after I had gotten my hopes up of starting
my bulletin board again. Yesterday it died again. It has gone back to
what I described in the above paragraph. It connects fine, and after it
does, it works as it should, but when I'm at command level, it's like
typing blind.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?  Thanx in advance.
--
 ________________________________________  _________________________________
[_John N. Bartolotta (Bart) (Pestilence)_][_"Mirror, mirror, why does the___]

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (07/03/90)

In article <8232@cuphub.cup.edu>, bar5834@cuphub.cup.edu (Pestilence) writes:
> Hello folks, got a bit of a technical problem that I'd like to throw out
> to the net before I bother calling the company...
>
> I have a Supra Modem 2400 with a standard 25-wire RS-232 cable connected

I had a problem with my Supra Modem 2400 (actually, lightning came in
on it) and was amazed at Supra's service. I had my modem back in nine
days. It was out of warranty so they charged me $25.00 to replace most of
the modem and the power supply. That included shipping. I think you'd be
better off sending it back rather than working on it.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *

RMARTIN@UTCVM.BITNET (Drew Martin) (07/04/90)

   Hello, I have to agree about Supra.  My 2400 couldn't get the dialtone for
some reason.  My old Apple 300 worked fine.  I set the modem in June 21st.
Supra got it the 25th (Monday) and fixed it Monday.  The sheet says they sent
it the same day.  UPS didn't get it to me till yesterday (Monday, July 2nd).
Excellent turnaround time.  (amazingly UPS or anyone was slower than the US
mail, eh?)
   I've only had mine since October, all I have to pay is the $7.50 shipping.

                          Signed,
                               Drew
                                  The Ram
                                     Erik Leatherback
                                      Duncan & Ranthulfr
                                       Richard Andrew(Drew) Martin

   "When things look their worst I just say to myself, 'Cheer up,
things could be worse.' and sure enough, they are."
                                                Skeeve, (The Great)