[comp.sys.apple2] Appletalk/Ethernet

TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET ("Ed 'Apple Guru' Moore") (07/01/90)

Hello.  My university wants to link 3 IIe and one GS computer onto
an Ethernet system.  How can we do this?  One way that I see is to
sub-net them in an appletalk network..but we want to use our vax/vms
system to store the programs (rather than a disc).  Is there any
way to make this work?  Or any other solutions?  Thank you for
your time...
TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET

rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) (07/02/90)

In article <9007011049.AA29926@apple.com> "Ed 'Apple Guru' Moore"  <TSEMM%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> writes:
>Hello.  My university wants to link 3 IIe and one GS computer onto
>an Ethernet system.  How can we do this?  One way that I see is to
>sub-net them in an appletalk network..but we want to use our vax/vms
>system to store the programs (rather than a disc).  Is there any
>way to make this work?  Or any other solutions?  Thank you for
>your time...
>TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET

Apple has software for the VAX that runs AppleShare on the VAX.  Pacer
Software, and Alisa Systems also have software that lets the VAX act as
an AppleShare server.  The software must be AFP 2.0 compatible to work
properly with the Apple II.  Both companies claim their stuff is AFP 2.0
compliant, but I have not been able to check this.

I don't know of Ethernet cards for the Apple II or drivers for the SCSI
Ethernet devices.  To connect to Ethernet you'll need to run your Apple
II's on AppleTalk.  The GS has this built in.  The IIe's will need the
AppleTalk card and the enhanced ROMs if they don't already have them
(you can tell easily, they boot up saying "Apple IIe" instead of "Apple ]["
if they are enhanced).

To connect your AppleTalk net to Ethernet you'll need a box from either
Cayman Systems, the Gator Box, or a box from Shiva called the FastPath.
If your mainframe or mini computer uses the NFS filing system the Gator
Box has a software package called GatorShare that converts from AFP to NFS.

This means you can eliminate the Pacer or Alisa software.  Pacer also
claims AFP 2.0 compliance for this software.

Be advised none of these programs supports booting from the server.  You'll
need to boot from a floppy (or hard drive) then log on.  This is quicker
anyway.  Apple has not provided the boot code to outside vendors, but they
recenly released the AppleTalk source code so perhaps that will be done to.

Rick
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (07/04/90)

As I remember, there is an AppleTalk to Ethernet bridge box out there.

This would allow you to net them together without putting ANY load on the VAX.

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"And the sweating of their souls can't wash the blood from off their hands."
                                                                  - Phil Ochs