[comp.sys.apple2] Help with Sider

UCI137@URIACC.BITNET (Andy) (07/03/90)

    Hi....A while ago I mentioned that I had a chance to get a free Sider
 Hard Drive...   Well the time is upon me and I was wondering if you could help
 me out.  It is a 10 meg Sider made in 1986 for the IIe or IIplus.  It comes
 with a controler card and the ROM on it says 103684 C, copyright 1986.  I want
 to use it on a IIgs.  Will the controller card work with my IIgs?  If you
 aren't sure...would it hurt my computer to plug the card in and see if it
 works?  Is this a lost cause that I should forget about?  (the last option
 is not one I care to recognize)  Any help with this would be appreciated.

                                       Andy Kress
                                       UCI137 at URIACC

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (07/03/90)

In article <9007030012.AA02689@apple.com> UCI137@URIACC.BITNET (Andy) writes:

>    Hi....A while ago I mentioned that I had a chance to get a free Sider
> Hard Drive...   Well the time is upon me and I was wondering if you could help
> me out.  It is a 10 meg Sider made in 1986 for the IIe or IIplus.  It comes
> with a controler card and the ROM on it says 103684 C, copyright 1986.  I want
> to use it on a IIgs.  Will the controller card work with my IIgs?  If you
> aren't sure...would it hurt my computer to plug the card in and see if it
> works?  Is this a lost cause that I should forget about?  (the last option
> is not one I care to recognize)  Any help with this would be appreciated.
>
>                                       Andy Kress
>                                       UCI137 at URIACC

It should work.  If it doesn't, I don't see how it would hurt your machine.
I have an old 10 Meg Sider that I use with my GS (although infrequently).

You do have to be *very* *careful* and patient threading the Sider cable
through one of the rectangular holes in the back of the GS (if your cable
is like mine, anyway).  It's easy to accidentally scrap the plastic
insulation off the ribbon cable as you go.  That would be bad.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

tribby@hpindwa.HP.COM (David Tribby) (07/03/90)

UCI137@URIACC.BITNET (Andy Kress) writes...
>          It is a 10 meg Sider made in 1986 for the IIe or IIplus.  It comes
> with a controler card and the ROM on it says 103684 C, copyright 1986.  I want
> to use it on a IIgs.  Will the controller card work with my IIgs?  If you
> aren't sure...would it hurt my computer to plug the card in and see if it
> works?

I used my 10 meg Sider like that one on my //e and had no problem moving
it when I bought my IIGS. (Since then, the power supply quit working and
I replaced the original drive with a 20 meg D20.)

--Dave Tribby
                                   - - - - -
        ARPA: tribby%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP: hplabs!hpda!tribby

ung@felix.UUCP (Bill Ung) (07/06/90)

In article <9007030012.AA02689@apple.com> UCI137@URIACC.BITNET (Andy) writes:

>   Hi....A while ago I mentioned that I had a chance to get a free Sider
>Hard Drive...   Well the time is upon me and I was wondering if you could help
>me out.  It is a 10 meg Sider made in 1986 for the IIe or IIplus.  It comes
>with a controler card and the ROM on it says 103684 C, copyright 1986.  I want
>to use it on a IIgs.  Will the controller card work with my IIgs?  If you
>aren't sure...would it hurt my computer to plug the card in and see if it
>works?  Is this a lost cause that I should forget about?  (the last option
>is not one I care to recognize)  Any help with this would be appreciated.

Lesse, I got my Sider in 1988 which had system software Rev. D.  The letter
'C' probably indicates that your got Rev. C.  They supposedly had a Rev. E.
out a year or so ago and I have no idea where they are now.

As far as hurting a IIgs, I don't think that it will.  If I remember
correctly, First Class Peripherals/Xebec were touting the fact that
Sider Hard Drives were the ONLY hard drives immediately compatible with
the IIgs when it first came out.  You probably aren't risking anything if
you plug it in and fire it up.

On the safe side, you might call 1-800-555-1212 and see if FCP/Xebec still
has a 1-800 number laying around.  If not, you'll have to try to track
them down using long-distance operators and whatever information you might
have in the manuals.  (Alternatively, go down to the bookstore and try to
find them in a magazine)  They have technical help over the phone and should
be able to answer any questions you might have.

Bill Ung
  ung@felix.UUCP