[comp.sys.apple2] Shrinkit GS doesn't work?

DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET (06/28/90)

Doesn't run, anyway...I downloaded it from the FTP server, un-Binscii'd it,
went into basic.system and executed it, and all the files unpacked just fine,
or so it seemed.  When I tried to run it, I got "fatal error $1202."  I
checked the memory, turned off the RAMdisk, and I've got more than twice as
much as it says I need.  I'm running System 5.0.2.  Anybody have any ideas?

Bill Dickson
DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET

V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU ("George A. Piotrowski Jr") (06/28/90)

On Wed, 27 Jun 90 23:39 EDT you said:
>Doesn't run, anyway...I downloaded it from the FTP server, un-Binscii'd it,
>went into basic.system and executed it, and all the files unpacked just fine,
>or so it seemed.  When I tried to run it, I got "fatal error $1202."  I
>checked the memory, turned off the RAMdisk, and I've got more than twice as
>much as it says I need.  I'm running System 5.0.2.  Anybody have any ideas?
>
>Bill Dickson
>DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET

Bill,

     I ran into this problem too, until I did a comparison of my Prosel-16
boot disk and discovered that I was using System 5.0, instead of 5.0.2.  I
think the docs specify that gshk requires system 5.0.2.  When I copied over
the correct files, it worked fine.

You can tell if you are using 5.0 or 5.0.2 by pressing the spacebar while
booting.  You will be supplied with the version of the tools and Prodos.FST.
I know that the Pro.FST file should have a version of 3.1 (or 3.01).  This
signifies 5.0.2.  If it is all 3.0, then you have system 5.0.

Later for now,

George A. Piotrowski, Coordinator          Bitnet: V2071A@TEMPLEVM
Educational Computing Center             Internet: v2071a@vm.temple.edu
Temple University                  America Online: GaPio
Philadelphia, PA 19122                 Compu$erve: 74046,1304
(215) 787-6228                              Genie: G.PIOTROWSKI

Doc Brown: Obviously, the Time Continuum has be disrupted creating this
New Temporal Event Sequence resulting in this Alternate Reality!
Acknowledge-To: <V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU>

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (06/28/90)

In article <9006280515.AA05682@apple.com>, V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU ("George A. Piotrowski Jr") says:

>On Wed, 27 Jun 90 23:39 EDT you said:
>>Doesn't run, anyway...I downloaded it from the FTP server, un-Binscii'd it,
>>went into basic.system and executed it, and all the files unpacked just fine,
>>or so it seemed.  When I tried to run it, I got "fatal error $1202."  I
>>checked the memory, turned off the RAMdisk, and I've got more than twice as
>>much as it says I need.  I'm running System 5.0.2.  Anybody have any ideas?
>>
>>Bill Dickson
>>DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET
>

>Bill,
>
>     I ran into this problem too, until I did a comparison of my Prosel-16
>boot disk and discovered that I was using System 5.0, instead of 5.0.2.  I
>think the docs specify that gshk requires system 5.0.2.  When I copied over
>the correct files, it worked fine.
>
>You can tell if you are using 5.0 or 5.0.2 by pressing the spacebar while
>booting.  You will be supplied with the version of the tools and Prodos.FST.
>I know that the Pro.FST file should have a version of 3.1 (or 3.01).  This
>signifies 5.0.2.  If it is all 3.0, then you have system 5.0.
>
>Later for now,
>
>George A. Piotrowski, Coordinator          Bitnet: V2071A@TEMPLEVM
>Educational Computing Center             Internet: v2071a@vm.temple.edu
>Temple University                  America Online: GaPio
>Philadelphia, PA 19122                 Compu$erve: 74046,1304
>(215) 787-6228                              Genie: G.PIOTROWSKI
>
>Doc Brown: Obviously, the Time Continuum has be disrupted creating this
>New Temporal Event Sequence resulting in this Alternate Reality!
>Acknowledge-To: <V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU>
I'm using System Disk 5.0.2 and ProSel 16 v8.48, and GSHK works fine for me the
first time, but if I quit and attempt to run it again, I get the infamous error
$1202.

Mike

P.S Anyone get the Desktop color CDev to work correctly with a picture?  If so,
would you please tell me how?

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (06/28/90)

Running GSHK from the Finder quitting, running it again, and quitting gives me
"error $0003, unable to load tools" or something like that.  Any ideas anyone?
Aside from it dying all the time, I really do like this program.

Mike

BTW-While trying to shrink a file that had a bad block, GSHK gave me an error
$201, "unknown error" or something like that, but didn't die.

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (06/28/90)

Oh yeah, and another "feature" is that when you type the filename that you
want your archive to be named, and it's >15 chars, it starts switching disks
on you...I mean I tell it to archive, and it goes to the next volume...odd.

Mike
-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu

I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (06/29/90)

>Doesn't run, anyway...I downloaded it from the FTP server, un-Binscii'd it,
>went into basic.system and executed it, and all the files unpacked just fine,
>or so it seemed.  When I tried to run it, I got "fatal error $1202."  I
>checked the memory, turned off the RAMdisk, and I've got more than twice as
>much as it says I need.  I'm running System 5.0.2.  Anybody have any ideas?

Yeah, I got the same thing, but I tracked it down.  Apparently, Shrinkit GS
requires Tool 34.  If I take Tool 34 out of my TOOLS folder, SHKGS gives me
that error.  If I put it back in it works!  Sort of an unfriendly error
message.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

karlb@pro-angmar.UUCP (Karl Bunker) (07/02/90)

>When I tried to run it [GS-ShrinkIt], I got "fatal error $1202."  I
>checked the memory, turned off the RAMdisk, and I've got more than twice as
>much as it says I need.  I'm running System 5.0.2.  Anybody have any ideas?

According to Andy, one of the bugs in gshk 1.0 causes it to report the
spurious error "$1202" when it encounters various tool-loading errors. If you
_really_ have System 5.0.2, then it may be that your System Disk is
incomplete, and you're missing a needed tool. Gshk 1.0.1 is in the works (of
course). It will have bug fixes and more verbose (and correct) error messages.

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (07/07/90)

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) writes:

>P.S Anyone get the Desktop color CDev to work correctly with a picture?  If so,
>would you please tell me how?

Don't bother! Use the DeskPicture INIT. Dave Lyons supplied the tool call, I
wrote it up, and a kind soul on the net converted into a 1 block init!

The init is available on various FTP servers, if you want I will post it and a
couple of decent desktop pix on comp.binaries.apple2.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu