[comp.sys.apple2] TIFF on a GS

bruce@archive.rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) (06/28/90)

  Ive been using a scanner to scan in images of all kinds on my PC for use
with my GS and Mac.  The problem I have is that the scanner only generates
TIFF files.  Is there any program around (PD/Shareware/commercial) that can
convert TIFF into something more readable like GIF or PICT or SHR??
  Are there any TIFF readers for the GS?  Am I asking too much???

						Bruce (bruce@archive.rtp.dg.com
						or kahn@adam.dg.com)

seah@ee.rochester.edu (David Seah) (06/28/90)

In article <574@dg.dg.com> bruce@archive.rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) writes:
>  Ive been using a scanner to scan in images of all kinds on my PC for use
>with my GS and Mac.  The problem I have is that the scanner only generates
>TIFF files.  Is there any program around (PD/Shareware/commercial) that can
>convert TIFF into something more readable like GIF or PICT or SHR??
>  Are there any TIFF readers for the GS?  Am I asking too much???

To my knowledge, there are no TIFF conversion utilities for the IIGS.
Your alternatives are:

1) Convert TIFF to GIF on the PC.  There are many graphics conversion
   utilities available for the PC.  Unfortunately, I don't have any
   of them.  Your scanner software probably has the option of saving
   files in PCX or GEM or IMG format...these can be readily converted
   to GIF by most popular GIF utilities on the PC.

2) Convert TIFF to Whatever on the Macintosh.  There must be utilities
   available...I don't know the names of them, though.

3) Try using some of the bit and pixelmap utilities available out
   on the net.  Go forth and get PBMPLUS, FBM, or one of the TIFF
   processing packages.  You can get the list of sites that carry
   these utilities from comp.graphic's "Frequently Asked Questions"
   posting.  Whatever you do, DON'T post the request to comp.graphics.
   They really hate those kind of questions.

   Alternatively, you can ask about TIFF conversion on alt.graphics.
   pixutils.
--
Dave Seah |       Omnidyne Systems-M         | INET: seah@ee.rochester.edu
          | "User-Friendly Killing Machines" | America Online: AFC DaveS
          +----------------------------------------------------------------=*

stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (06/29/90)

on the mac, there are several programs and utilities to convert between formats
 i believe that VisionLab(??) and/or Giffer will do TIFF-GIF conversins,
and i know that Superpaint and Imagestudio will do many format conversions, but
this is again, only after you havetransferred it to a Mac.

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/04/90)

>  Are there any TIFF readers for the GS?  Am I asking too much???
>> To my knowledge, there are no TIFF conversion utilities for the IIGS.

There is an IFF to GS converter written by the French Underground Crackers
Klan...  Same guys who made ZZCopy and the 3200-color pictures Demo DIsk.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (07/07/90)

If somebody can send me a TIFF specification, I can write a cheap basic/ML
converter based on the one I did for GIFs.

It wouldn't be very releasable, but I would probably send out the code to
anyone who asked nicely...

BTW, has that IFF->GS converter been posted anywhere? If so, let's see it.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu