[comp.sys.apple2] Apple ][+ failure

lee@chsun1.uchicago.edu (dwight lee) (06/29/90)

I turned on my trusty old Apple ][+ the other day to catch a quick game of
Threshold, but instead of booting up normally as it has for the past nine
years, it did... nothing.  At first the power light didn't even come on, and
when it finally did, the computer didn't autostart.  After a few power cycles,
the machine finally coughed up a beep and started to boot.  Unfortunately, the
machine doesn't reliably boot anymore.  Sometimes it does, and sometimes it
doesn't.

The interesting thing is that when the ][+ does boot, the video screen dims
whenever the disk drive is on.

Has anybody else encountered a like problem before?  Is it my power supply, or
is it my controller card or is it something else?

My configuration: Apple ][+ 64K, Videx Ultraterm, Hayes Micromodem, two Disk
]['s with controller, NMI card.

Thanks in advance for any assistance rendered.  I can't let the machine die or
else I won't be able to boot any of those old Broderbund copy-protected
originals.  <sigh>
--
Dwight Lee
lee@chsun1.uchicago.edu

tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (06/30/90)

Try removing ALL CARDS and power ][+ up and see what happens.
Then put cards back one at a time (with power OFF) and power up again until it
doesn't work.   Then you will have found the problem.
Send E-Mail if you need more help (include VERY DETAILED INFORMATION).

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (07/07/90)

Try removing all cards. If you still get the same problem your power supply is
on its deathbed.

If you can reproduce the problem by adding cards back and the order doesn't
matter, then it is also your power supply.

I had exactly the startup problems you described a while ago and it was the
power supply (Apple's standard supply is disgustingly weak).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu