[comp.sys.apple2] TIFF on a GS converter

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (07/02/90)

I have an IFF file conversion program I got from America Online some time
ago. I've never tried it on a TIFF file...are they the same (I'm obviously not
an IBMer).

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (07/07/90)

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) writes:

>I have an IFF file conversion program I got from America Online some time
>ago. I've never tried it on a TIFF file...are they the same (I'm obviously not
>an IBMer).

TIFF and IFF are NOT the same formats.

TIFF is "Tagged Image File Format." It is very generic and inefficient but is
very powerful in what it can represent. To my knowledge, only high-end graphics
systems use TIFF extensively.

IFF is "Interchange File Format," a very well-designed generic file format
standard developed by Commodore and Electronic Arts. IFF pictures are really
ILBM ("InterLeaved Bit Map") because IFF is an 'umbrella specification' which
can support all kinds of data types because it is very extensible. SoundSmith
instruments conform to IFF specifications; their IFF data type is ASIF. Apple
has also defined AIFF for digitized sounds, and at least SoundEdit on the Mac
supports it. (Decoding AIFF files for simple playback is a joke, if anyone
wants a program to do it let me know.)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu