[comp.sys.apple2] Copying files under GS/OS Finder

bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) (07/03/90)

  A while back I asked about copying files under the Finder.  Unfortunately
I didnt make it clear that I wanted to copy them under GS/OS finder and not
the Macintosh Finder.  I know how to copy under the Mac Finder but not
under the GS/OS Finder.  If I try to use Shift-Option (or any combo of
Shift, Option, OA) while trying to copy files around I do get a "Copy file"
option Dialog box but the files are NOT copied, they are MOVED.
  While this may be a bug in either GS/OS or the Finders dialog box (should
say Move options instead?) I dont care.  What I would like to know from
anyone around is: How do I COPY files on SAME DEVICE under GS/OS Finder?

						Bruce (bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com
						or kahn@adam.dg.com)

In article <589@dg.dg.com> bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) writes:

>  While this may be a bug in either GS/OS or the Finders dialog box (should
>say Move options instead?) I dont care.  What I would like to know from
>anyone around is: How do I COPY files on SAME DEVICE under GS/OS Finder?
>
>						Bruce (bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com
>						or kahn@adam.dg.com)

The IIgs (not GS/OS, please) Finder uses the option key for different purposes.If you want to copy files on the same device, you need to "Duplicate" them and
move the copies.  Sorry.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/05/90)

In article <589@dg.dg.com> bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) writes:
>  A while back I asked about copying files under the Finder.  Unfortunately
>I didnt make it clear that I wanted to copy them under GS/OS finder and not
>the Macintosh Finder.

Since this is the Apple II newsgroup/mailing list, you shouldn't need to
specify that.

There are two methods I know of to duplicate files:

(1) Select "DUPLICATE" from the FILE menu, which will let you make a copy
in the same directory (er, "folder"); then move that copy to the destination
and finally rename it if you so desire.

(2) Copy to a different filesystem then copy from there to the desired
destination and finally delete the intermediate file.  If you have set up
a RAM disk, this isn't too bad.

skann@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Steve Kann) (07/07/90)

        As far as I know, the only way that I can see to do that would be to
Duplicate the files in question, and then copy eithger the duplicates or the
originals to the destination, and rebname the duplicates. A stupid way to do
things, but as far as I know, the only way.

Proline:skann@gnh-applesauce      <--- Preferred
America online: NYSteve
CI$:70265,1141
UUCP: !crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!skann         This is just my opinion!
INET: skann@gnh-applesauce.cts.com               ************************
ARPA: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!skann@nosc.mil    "Don't blame me!"