[comp.sys.apple2] Mac Hard Drives & IIGS

shawn@marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) (06/26/90)

In article <13215@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>SCSI hard drives have been reviewed in several publications aimed at
>the Apple II user, most recently in this month's InCider/A+...

I saw that review, and it was pretty good.  But it only covered drives
aimed at the Apple II market, and those are much more expensive than the
drives aimed at the Mac market.  A review that simply covered the best
deals with any SCSI drive would be more useful.
--
Shawn P. Stanley         shawn@marilyn.marilyn.mn.org
bungia!marilyn!shawn     {rosevax,crash}!orbit!marilyn!shawn

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (06/28/90)

<
<I saw that review, and it was pretty good.  But it only covered drives
<aimed at the Apple II market, and those are much more expensive than the
<drives aimed at the Mac market.  A review that simply covered the best
<deals with any SCSI drive would be more useful.
<--
<Shawn P. Stanley         shawn@marilyn.marilyn.mn.org
<bungia!marilyn!shawn     {rosevax,crash}!orbit!marilyn!shawn

MacUser (ok, flame me) had a really good comparison of somewhere over 100
SCSI hard drives a few months ago.  I'm not sure what issue it was in;
they did send copies to all user groups, and you might be able to find it
that way.  If not, I'll try and find it and post their picks and any other
information people are interested in.

Henry

---
Henry Throop
Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (06/30/90)

to eroshier@pro-angmar
   (and other Boston residents interested in Mac harddrives for Apple //s)

One very smart move you can make (like what I am going to do) is buy an
admission to the MacWorld Exposition that will be in town Aug 8-11.

There will be a number of harddrive makers there, so you can see what their
products look like and how they perform. Also, at conventions like these,
manufacturers often sell their products for a 'show price' which is usually
a nice bit below normal list price. Add all that to the fact that you can
carry your selected drive home and have instant gratification instead of
waiting for UPS to drop a package off at your door.

eroshier@pro-angmar.UUCP (Ernest Roshier) (07/02/90)

The February issue of MacUser was the issue that had the test on the 101 Hard
Disks for the Mac.  The test did not get into the new removeable drives (45mg)
Nor did it cover all the more popular brands out there. All in all tho it was
still the most complete review on Mac Drives to come along. Now if we could
get a review on Mac Drives used with the IIGS, that would be great.

lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) (07/08/90)

YES!  I've finally received my POWERDrive for HDI (Hard Drives International).
The first unit I received was DOA.  After one phone call, to a very pleasant
rep., and returning the dead drive I got a replacement within a week.  This is
a 105 MB external SCSI HD made for the Mac and includes Mac software.  I used
the software included with the HS SCSI card from Apple and partitioned it,
formatted it and verified it.  Formatted to a 1:1 interleave and hooked up to
a DMA interface this thing SCREAMS!  The HD has an internal cache that boosts
its speed and access times.  It benchmarks at 5ms avg. access!  If your
looking for a new HD, look into HDI (advertised in MacWorld and The Computer
Shopper, that I know of).  They have good HDs at excellent prices (mine went
for $699).      Gee...  Its Christmas already?

lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com