[comp.sys.apple2] PCT drive

titan@apollo.HP.COM (David Titivanich) (06/28/90)

Just one question guys: Is it possible to use normal 5 1/4 IBM-type drives
with the PC Transporter, or do we have to get AE's drives?

Thanks

		Titan

lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) (07/08/90)

>Just one question guys: Is it possible to use normal 5 1/4 IBM-type drives
>with the PC Transporter, or do we have to get AE's drives?
>
>Thanks
>

>               Titan

I've added a Teac 3.5" 720K FD to my PCT's drive box.  I had to use a regular
PC-Clone drive cable to do it though.  It seems AE puts the drive connectors
on the drive upside-down and on the opposite side from most MFM drive
manufacturers.  What I did was to remove the end connector from the cable,
flip the wires that are flipped in the wire ribbon, install it upside down
to the new drive, see if it works.  Now I have a 5.25" MFM FD and a 3.5" MFM
FD for just under $70.  Sure beats the hell out of buying an Apple 3.5 Drive
for over $400!

Laer Haider
lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com