[comp.sys.apple2] Proterm Speed Problem

burns@gatech.edu (James E. Burns) (07/06/90)

I have recently been trying to connect an Apple II GS with a
NeXT machine via a null-modem cable.  It works great at 300,
1200 & 2400 baud, but I can't get it to work at higher speeds
(the main reason for the exercise is to allow high speed
downloading).

Here is the setup:
  Apple II GS, Rom 01
  1.25 Meg (Apple memory expansion card)
  Modem speed set in the control panel to 19200 (before cold restart)
  Proterm V2.1

If I match the 'on-line' speed in Proterm to the NeXT setting at
300, 1200, or 2400 everything works as expected.  If I mismatch the
speeds I get garbage (as expected).  If I set Proterm's speed to
4800, 9600 or 19200 & leave the NeXT at 2400, I get effective
communication at 2400 (i.e., the Apple's speed can't seem to go
above 2400).  If the NeXT is set to a matching speed above 2400
I get garbage.

Is anyone successfully using Proterm V2.1 with a straight (on-line)
connection at speeds greater than 2400?

jim burns

--
James E. Burns    Associate Professor    (404) 894-3816
College of Computing, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332-0280

linb@prism.cs.orst.edu (Ben Lin) (07/07/90)

In article <BURNS.90Jul6092818@bobcat.gatech.edu> burns@gatech.edu (James E. Burns) writes:

>I have recently been trying to connect an Apple II GS with a
>NeXT machine via a null-modem cable.  It works great at 300,
>1200 & 2400 baud, but I can't get it to work at higher speeds
>
>If I match the 'on-line' speed in Proterm to the NeXT setting at
>300, 1200, or 2400 everything works as expected.  If I mismatch the
>speeds I get garbage (as expected).  If I set Proterm's speed to
>4800, 9600 or 19200 & leave the NeXT at 2400, I get effective
>communication at 2400 (i.e., the Apple's speed can't seem to go
>above 2400).  If the NeXT is set to a matching speed above 2400
>I get garbage.

I use Kermit myself and have done quite a bit of transferring over
null modem, but I recall that recently someone else was having similar
problems with ProTerm.  If you're using the Hayes 2400 driver, even if
you tell ProTerm to go faster, it will still only go at 2400 baud.  I
believe ProTerm includes a null modem option on the list of modems
(under I)nstall hardware), which will go up to 19200.  Alternatively,
if that doesn't work, try a different program - both Kermit and
ReadyLink have worked for me.

>jim burns
>Internet :  burns@CC.GATech.edu
>uucp:	...!{akgua,allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,seismo,ulysses}!gatech!cc!burns

ben
---
linb@prism.cs.orst.edu

burns@gatech.edu (James E. Burns) (07/09/90)

Thanks to all who responded.  (I was unable to get ProTerm to
go over 2400 bps using a null-modem cable to a NeXT.)  The problem
(kindly pointed out by "Dave Schweisguth 237-6372" <DCS100@psuvm.psu.edu>
and linb@prism.cs.orst.edu (Ben Lin)) was that I had not reset
my modem type to Null-modem.  Still thinking I was using
a Hayes 2400, ProTerm continued without complaining, allowing
me to set the speed above 2400 but ignoring the setting.  Since
I hadn't touched the "install" feature since purchasing ProTerm,
I didn't think about resetting the modem type.  Anyway, everything is
working now at 19.2K (although characters are dropped occasionally).
It would be nice if ProTerm had warned me when I tried to reset the
speed.  I also wish I didn't have to go through Install when I want to
switch back to the modem --- I guess I will use two separate copies
of ProTerm to avoid this.

jim burns