[comp.sys.apple2] EEPROM burner for the II?

curfman@agora.uucp (Matthew Curfman) (07/08/90)

Does anyone know of an EEPROM burner for the apple II series?  I need
to burn some simple 2716 and 2764 EEPROMs and would like to do it with
my II.

I am interested in either a commercial product or a kit or magazine article
describing how to build one.  I would like to spend no more than $100.00
on one.

Thanks!

Matt

|                                                                           |
| Matt Curfman                                                              |
| curfman@agora.hf.intel.com                                                |
| curfmanm@prism.cs.orst.edu                                                |
|___________________________________________________________________________|
|                                                                           |
| Funny quote under construction                                            |
|___________________________________________________________________________|

|                                                                           |
| Matt Curfman                                                              |
| curfman@agora.hf.intel.com                                                |

paul@athertn.Atherton.COM (Paul Sander) (07/09/90)

In article <1990Jul8.063202.19289@agora.uucp> curfman@agora.UUCP (Matthew Curfman) writes:
>Does anyone know of an EEPROM burner for the apple II series?  I need
>to burn some simple 2716 and 2764 EEPROMs and would like to do it with
>my II.

You mean EPROM programmer?  EPROMs are erased by exposing them to ultraviolet
light, EEPROMs are erased electrically.  I know of no EEPROM programmers made
specifically for the Apple, but I should think some of the units available
that connect to a serial port would work nicely.

However, to program 2716 and 2764 EPROMs (the ultraviolet kind), try
Needham's Electronics at 4535 Orange Grove Ave., Sacramento, CA, 95841,
(916) 924-8037 fax (916) 972-9960.  I bought a unit that plugs into one
of the Apple's expansion slots and programs 2716 (single +5v supply only,
not the older 3 supply devices), 2732, 2764, 27128, 27256, and 27512 chips,
and one or two others, for $109.00 at a local retailer.

>I am interested in either a commercial product or a kit or magazine article
>describing how to build one.  I would like to spend no more than $100.00
>on one.

If this doesn't work out for you, the following reference might be of help:

Experimenting with EPROMs
Dave Prochnow
1988, TAB Books, Inc.
ISBN 0-8306-0362-X or ISBN 0-8306-2962-9 (pbk.)
--
Paul Sander        (408) 734-9822  | Wisdom is beyond price, my son.  Be
paul@Atherton.COM                  | grateful that you have it.

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (07/10/90)

EEPROM's are easier to work with than EPROMs. An EEPROM will act just like an
EPROM in that it remembers everything when the power is off, but you don't
need a special programmer to program an EEPROM.

I have a card I wire-wrapped for my II which has a socket on it that will
accept a 6264 static RAM, and memory maps it (bank switch four times) into
the peripheral ROM spaces ($Cn00 and $C800-$Ceff). I originally used it on the
II+ to hold a prodos RAMdisk driver for a Saturn 128K card.

But enough of that. The 2864 EEPROM plugs into _exactly_ the same socket as the
6264, and you program it _in_that_socket_ by writing a byte at a time to the
EEPROM and then waiting until it reads back correctly. The EEPROM has little
internal circuits that handle the erasure and burning process, and you can
reprogram each byte independently, without having to erase the whole chip first
(big win here).

It should be possible to use an EPROM burner to program a EEPROM, but I'd have
to check my notes at home before I'd stand by that. I think the program voltage
(12V) pin on an EPROM is not connected on the 6264 and 2864, so you could use
them in the same socket as a 2764.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

darwinr@nyssa.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (07/11/90)

In article <1990Jul8.063202.19289@agora.uucp> curfman@agora.UUCP (Matthew Curfman) writes:

>Does anyone know of an EEPROM burner for the apple II series?  I need
>to burn some simple 2716 and 2764 EEPROMs and would like to do it with
>my II.

27xx's are EPROMS, not EEPROMS, which are 28xx.  There was an article in
Byte in Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar probably about 3 years ago about building
an EPROM programmer that works over a serial line.

Alternatively, if you really mean EEPROMS, I have an AST RamStakPlus
memory card in my IIgs that should be able to program EEPROMS.  I've
never tried it, but if you're interested, mail me.

--
Darwin Roberts
Internet: darwinr@nyssa.cs.orst.edu