[comp.sys.apple2] Unidisk booting

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (07/09/90)

I'm posting this to clarify an earlier message about using my Unidisk
and //c. I've received several nice notes about it but I must not have
stated my problem very well. It's not really much of a problem. If I
leave the internal drive empty the //c will check it first and then boot
from the Unidisk as it is supposed to do. I was just looking for a way to
bypass the few seconds of waiting while it checks the internal drive. Not
a big thing really, it's just that I've been tuning this computer
up for so long that I'm running out of ways to improve it :-).

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (07/10/90)

In article <1519@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:
>I'm posting this to clarify an earlier message about using my Unidisk
>and //c. I've received several nice notes about it but I must not have
>stated my problem very well. It's not really much of a problem. If I
>leave the internal drive empty the //c will check it first and then boot
>from the Unidisk as it is supposed to do. I was just looking for a way to
>bypass the few seconds of waiting while it checks the internal drive. Not
>a big thing really, it's just that I've been tuning this computer
>up for so long that I'm running out of ways to improve it :-).

No problem:  Make a 5.25" floppy with block 0 containing the following
in the first 4 bytes:

000:01 4C 00 C5

Keep this floppy in your internal drive, and this little piece of code
(which is JMP $C500) will transfer control to slot 5 faster than waiting
for the system to just give up.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/11/90)

>>from the Unidisk as it is supposed to do. I was just looking for a way to
>>bypass the few seconds of waiting while it checks the internal drive. Not

>No problem:  Make a 5.25" floppy with block 0 containing the following
>in the first 4 bytes:
>
>000:01 4C 00 C5
>
>Keep this floppy in your internal drive, and this little piece of code
>(which is JMP $C500) will transfer control to slot 5 faster than waiting
>for the system to just give up.

I would suggest making that

00: 01 AD E8 C0 4C 00 C5

which should turn the 5 1/4" drive off before booting the 3 1/2" drive.
unless the //c shuts it off automatically when the 3 1/2" engages.  i know you
need to do it on a //e.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com