[comp.sys.apple2] HP-48sx<->IIGS

sqh@dhw68k.cts.com (Steve Hubbell) (07/08/90)

I recently purchased a Hewlett Packard 48SX Calculator (really
a computer) and I also bought the Mac interface cable to interface
it with my Apple IIGS.

I am using a program called Kermit-65 version 3.86.  I have had
no trouble sending both binary and text programs to my HP from
my IIGS using Kermit.

When I try and send programs from the HP to the GS, is when the
trouble starts.  The transfer goes fine right up until the end.
It seems that on the last packet of the transfer, the HP
immediately dies with a "Transfer Failed" (No retries) and
Kermit-65 seems to be waiting for more information.

If anyone has had a similar problem on another type of computer
or someone on the net has been able to successfully transfer with
an Apple II, I would love to hear how you did it!

Also, if someone knows the settings the 48sx expects for Kermit,
please send them to me.  I can adust Kermit-65's receive
characteristics.

Thanks a lot...
sqh@dhw68k.cts.com

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (07/10/90)

In article <1990Jul7.201451.28934@dhw68k.cts.com>, sqh@dhw68k.cts.com (Steve Hubbell) writes:
> I recently purchased a Hewlett Packard 48SX Calculator (really
> a computer) and I also bought the Mac interface cable to interface
> it with my Apple IIGS.
>
> I am using a program called Kermit-65 version 3.86.  I have had
> no trouble sending both binary and text programs to my HP from
> my IIGS using Kermit.
>

> Thanks a lot...
> sqh@dhw68k.cts.com

Sorry, I don't have an answer for your post, just more questions. Does your
HP actually support Kermit protocal xfers? I'd really like to hear more about
the calculator.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/10/90)

> If anyone has had a similar problem on another type of computer
> or someone on the net has been able to successfully transfer with
> an Apple II, I would love to hear how you did it!

I use ProTerm... Works great for me!

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/11/90)

> Sorry, I don't have an answer for your post, just more questions. Does
> your HP actually support Kermit protocal xfers? I'd really like to hear
> more about the calculator.

It's the top of the line HP calculator, which means its the top of the line
calculator _period._  regarding your question, the calculator is actually a
full kermit server.  Hook it up to your PC and send and recieve stuff at 9600
baud (even though kermit makes the throughput much less) from your calculator.

The calculator itself has 32K RAM standard, expandable to 288K, and a ROM of
256K.  It has a full programming language built in (RPN with all the
structures).  It does anything in probability, statistics, graphing (it has 5
or 6 types of graphs, including parametric, polar, etc...), bases, any math
function you can think of.

It works well with objects... it handles strings very well.  Matrixes are a
primitive object and you can perform any matrix operation (I just solved a 64
x 64 matrix with mine...), as are lists (it does primitive list processing).

It is a fully symbolic calculator, you can put 'X' or any symbol you want
anywhere (except in a matrix, dammit, but there are programs to do it) and it
will carry through.  It solves for variables symbolically, takes symbolic
derivatives, and even (gasp) integrates symbolically.  It completely takes
care of units if you wish.  You can attach units to any number and it will
carry them through and keep track of the current units, as well as translating
into any other units, SI units, or whatever you want to do.

My favorite part (as an electrical engineer) is that it treats complex numbers
the same way it does real numbers... You can do any operation with them.  it
just checks to see which you're using and does the appropriate thing.  There's
nothing like finding node-voltage by having your HP solve a 6x6 complex matrix
while the rest of the class is trying to divide two complex numbers with their
Casios...

Hmmm...  it has a big lcd screen, 7 lines by 23 characters visibile at once,
or a big graph.  It has essentially an infinite stack, although it warns you
not to put more than "a couple hundred" items on the stack at once or you
could slow it down.

Oh yeah, thought of something about the kermit... It's a complete kermit
server, which means you can operate it remotely from the PC and use it as sort
of an external co-processor.  I can have my program send it a series of
commands and it will send the result back to the Apple.

By the time my class graduated, 80% of the electrical engineering computer
engineers and physics major seniors owned the predecesor, the HP-28x.

I've even got a SPICE program for it... Give it the circuit and it will solve
for everything.