[comp.sys.apple2] Prodos Error in Shrinkit.3.0.2

DHH102@psuvm.psu.edu (07/06/90)

I got a Prodos error number $51 while shrinking some files with shrinkit.
This is the first time I've ever gotten this error, and I've gotten it
several times today. Right now I'm in the process of backing up my
hard drive. Do you think bad blocks on my hard drive might be causing this?
Or is this a problem because I was trying to shrink to many files at once.
There were about 60 of them I think, and it stopped before that, and gave
me there error. Anybody have any ideas?
    Doug
dhh102@psuvm.bitnet                            dhh102@psuvm.psu.edu

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (07/07/90)

In article <90186.192438DHH102@psuvm.psu.edu> DHH102@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I got a Prodos error number $51 while shrinking some files with shrinkit.
>This is the first time I've ever gotten this error, and I've gotten it
>several times today. Right now I'm in the process of backing up my
>hard drive. Do you think bad blocks on my hard drive might be causing this?
>Or is this a problem because I was trying to shrink to many files at once.
>There were about 60 of them I think, and it stopped before that, and gave
>me there error. Anybody have any ideas?

Error $51 is "directory structure damaged"--it's not complaining that a
block is bad, but a bad block could have contributed to the problem (a
carefully-placed failure to write a block could have left your disk in
a weird state).

Anyway, what you want to do is run a disk-repair program, like Mr. Fixit,
on your volume.  The damage is -probably- very minor.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/07/90)

> I got a Prodos error number $51 while shrinking some files with shrinkit.
> This is the first time I've ever gotten this error, and I've gotten it
> several times today. Right now I'm in the process of backing up my
> hard drive. Do you think bad blocks on my hard drive might be causing this?

Hoo boy, you do have problems.  $51 means that it compared the count of
supposedly active files against the actual numbers of files in the directory
and they didn't agree.  Your directory structure is screwed.  ProDOS is very
picky about this, and will keep bugging you about it.  Bad blocks are usually
what do it, a lot of times through the famous delete error (what version of
proDOS 8 are you using?)

Your options:
  * first find out what directory has the error
then you have a choice
  * Best choice would be to copy everything from the bad directory and below
    to another place and then delete the bad directory and everything below,
    if it lets you.  You MAY have to copy the whole disk structure....  In
    that case, delete the whole disk and recopy everything.  This will take
    a long time, but as long as you need to lock out bad blocks...
  * Use Bag of Tricks 2.1 or something else that will "fix" the directory
    structure
  * Use a sector editor and change the number of active files to agree with
    the actual number.  This is of dubious safety...

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (System Administrator) (07/12/90)

I had a similar problem with Shrinkit.3.0.2; after unshrinking some files I
used the copy files option to put them on my hard drive (I unshrunk in /ram).
The hard drive bombed when one of the files, which already existed with the
same name, was deleted under program control.  Took Mr. Fixit's main directory
repair option to correct.

Could have been cooincidence, but I'm using Shrinkit only to shrink and
unshrink. I'll use Cat.Doctor for file copying/deleteing.
Mike Ungerman                      |Proline:mikeu@pro-magic
Pro-Magic BBS: 407-366-0156        |uucp:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu
300/1200/2400/9600 Baud 24hrs      |arpa:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu@nosc.mil
Apple Tree of Central Florida, Inc |Internet:mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com
Orlando, Florida|Voice:407-366-0060|Compuserve:71326,31 Prodigy: JSNP58A