[comp.sys.apple2] Laser128 problems

PETERSO@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (07/07/90)

Are there any users out there in netnews land who own a Laser 128 computer,
and have overcome problems with the serial ports? I have owned one for about
3 yrs. and have had no luck getting the ports to work correctly. The modem port
will not receive or transmit, and the printer port does not have any flow
control. It is quite likely that I have missed a command somewhere, or wired
it up wrong, since nobody's perfect, but I've tried everything I can think of.
Laser Computer doesn't seem to be interested in helping, either, from my
experience.   Any help will be greatly appreciated.
-------
THOMAS K. PETERSON
3 TATHUM TRACE
GANSEVOORT, NY 12831
HOME: (518) 695-3659
WORK: (518) 387-6426
BITNET: PETERSO@GECRDVM1

maton@herald.usask.ca (Terry Maton) (07/14/90)

In article <90187.133303PETERSO@GECRDVM1.BITNET> PETERSO@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com writes:
>Are there any users out there in netnews land who own a Laser 128 computer,
>and have overcome problems with the serial ports? I have owned one for about
>3 yrs. and have had no luck getting the ports to work correctly. The modem port
>will not receive or transmit, and the printer port does not have any flow
>control. It is quite likely that I have missed a command somewhere, or wired
>it up wrong, since nobody's perfect, but I've tried everything I can think of.
>Laser Computer doesn't seem to be interested in helping, either, from my
>experience.   Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>-------
>THOMAS K. PETERSON
>3 TATHUM TRACE
>GANSEVOORT, NY 12831
>HOME: (518) 695-3659
>WORK: (518) 387-6426
>BITNET: PETERSO@GECRDVM1

	I tried to send email to Thomas, but there seem to be network problems
	to his site, and I will be on holiday next week.

	There were problems with the serial ports on the early Laser 128s, but
	these were fixed with ROM revisions.

	If you get the latest ROM for the 128 (rev 3.5) have one of the newer
	128 EX or EX/2 machines there should be no problem.

	I have a Laser 128 with ROM ver 3.5 and a Laser 128 EX/2 with ROM
	ver 6.0 and have no problems.

	You should note that the serial modem port does NOT *exactly* match
	the Apple Super Serial Card and with Kermit I have to use a different
	driver.

	Terry

Terry Maton                    | "Brother Maynard!  Bring out the Holy Hand
University of Saskatchewan     |  Grenade!"
Saskatoon, Canada              | "How does it....How does it work?"
BITNET:  MATON@SASK            | "Consult the book of Armaments!"
UUCP:    maton@herald.USask.ca | "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin."
                                                                 Monty Python
--
Terry Maton, U of Saskatchewan  | "I...  I wanted to be...   A LUMBERJACK!"
Saskatoon, Canada               | "Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,