[comp.sys.apple2] Analog Monitors

duerksen@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Joel L. Duerksen) (07/08/90)

Does anyone know the exact details of analog RGB?  Specifically, can
I use my Apple IIgs RGB monitor on an IBM VGA analog card (with the
appropriate cables...)  I have a friend who owns both an IBM and a MAC
with monitors that are interchangable, this is what lead me to believe
it might be possible.

Joel Duerksen

USnail: 1708 W. Glenn Ellyn Dr., East Apt., Muncie, IN. 47304
  AT&T: 1-317-289-0430         ICBM: 85 24 31 W / 40 12 16 N
  UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!duerksen
  ARPA: duerksen@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (07/10/90)

duerksen@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Joel L. Duerksen) writes:

>Does anyone know the exact details of analog RGB?  Specifically, can
>I use my Apple IIgs RGB monitor on an IBM VGA analog card (with the
>appropriate cables...)  I have a friend who owns both an IBM and a MAC
>with monitors that are interchangable, this is what lead me to believe
>it might be possible.

Well, you'll have to make an adapter cable, and the GS monitor will only be
able to display CGA graphics modes, but it's probably possible.

Your friend's monitor is probably a multisync/multifrequency monitor, and is
more intelligent (& more expensive) than the GS monitor.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

seah@ee.rochester.edu (David Seah) (07/14/90)

In article <1990Jul9.191306.22102@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>duerksen@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Joel L. Duerksen) writes:
>>Does anyone know the exact details of analog RGB?  Specifically, can
>>I use my Apple IIgs RGB monitor on an IBM VGA analog card (with the
>>appropriate cables...)  I have a friend who owns both an IBM and a MAC
>>with monitors that are interchangable, this is what lead me to believe
>>it might be possible.
>
>Well, you'll have to make an adapter cable, and the GS monitor will only be
>able to display CGA graphics modes, but it's probably possible.

I'd be hesitant to make such an adapter cable.  The CGA emulation in
VGA boards actually has the scan rates of 640x400 noninterlaced video,
with pixels doubled horizontally and vertically.  Plus, there's always
the possibility of running a program that autodetects your video board
and drops it into a higher resolution mode.

I'm not sure if it is possible to destroy or damage a monitor by giving it
signals that are not within its specs.  I've seen monitors shut off and
go crazy...is there any possibility of lasting damage?
--
Dave Seah |       Omnidyne Systems-M         | INET: seah@ee.rochester.edu
  ^..^    | "User-Friendly Killing Machines" | America Online: AFC DaveS