[comp.sys.apple2] OCR

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (07/14/90)

hackman@pnet51.orb.mn.org (-: Otto "Hack-Man" Heuer :-) writes:

>>Does anyone have any recommendations for scanners for the Apple IIgs?

>Quickie by Vitesse (ads in A+/Incider and probably Nibble) is a hand scanner
>that is marketed specifically for the GS.

Actually, there are two hand scanners out for the GS, the Quickie by Vitesse,
and the Lightening Scanner by Thunderscan.

I own a Quickie hand scanner, and all I can do is rave about it.  The new
software that was developed for it utilizing greyscale is really remarkable.
You can order a Quickie for as little as $199 from Roger Coats.  I don't
really know much about the other scanner, except that the software for it
isn't as good as the new Quickie stuff.

>Apple has supposedly released drivers for their Scanner (which requires a
>SCSI card in the system, preferably the new SCSI card) but since it's pretty
>expensive I don't know if its what you want. It can do full legal pages
>though, whereas Quickie does 4 inch strips.

As far as an Apple scanner is concerned, the price is so high that I don't
think the typical Apple II owner would be that interested in it.  However,
I have yet to see the drivers for it appear.

The Quickie does 4 inch strips, but you can join them together to make a
much larger picture.  It's incredibly simple to do.

>>Also, is there any software commercially available to parse the scanned
>>bitmaps and is able to convert the pixels into ascii characters (with not
>>*too* many errors)?

>There is supposed to be a conference on America Online (aka AppleLink
>Personal Edition) soon about a OCR package for the GS.

There is a company that will be marketing an OCR ("optical character
recognition") software for the Apple II, that will work in conjection with
Quickie hand scanner.  The company that's putting it out is called West
Code (an offshoot of Beagle Brothers); the software will retail somewhere
around $129 (very reasonable, considering what similar software costs for
the Mac)...   looking forward to that one.

There's a big article in the July Mac User on OCR, if you really want to
know about it.

Lynda

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/14/90)

> Actually, there are two hand scanners out for the GS, the Quickie
> by Vitesse, and the Lightening Scanner by Thunderscan.

I thought I heard somewhere that they were the same basic hardware, developed
by some other company, the difference is the package and the software, so
whatever you like best...

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Olmy) (07/15/90)

In article <3082.apple.net2@pro-grouch> rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) writes:

>> Actually, there are two hand scanners out for the GS, the Quickie
>> by Vitesse, and the Lightening Scanner by Thunderscan.
>
>I thought I heard somewhere that they were the same basic hardware, developed
>by some other company, the difference is the package and the software, so
>whatever you like best...
>

>UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
>ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
>INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

I saw pictures of both in inCider/A+ magazine.  The Quickie was in the
editor's choice, while the Lightning Scanner was in an ad.  Comparing the
two pictures, they looked identical except for the name and that one had a
page guide while the other didn't.

Of course, all mice look alike too.  Well, there are some different ones,
but the basic design is still the same.

	greg@hoss.unl.edu

	Sorry, a system error has occurred.