[comp.sys.apple2] Apple IIgs or IIe/c/c+ 'arcade' games

lwv27%cas.BITNET%CAS@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (07/10/90)

A co-worker has asked about recommendations for games (GS preferred,
but others okay) which are 'Nitendo-like' .   Anyone have a list of
games to buy and games to avoid?

For instance, what about a Super Mario Brothers type?

Give some of us a reason NOT to buy a Nitendo for our kids <wink>.
--
Larry W. Virden
Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/11/90)

> A co-worker has asked about recommendations for games (GS preferred,
> but others okay) which are 'Nitendo-like' .   Anyone have a list of
> games to buy and games to avoid?
>
> For instance, what about a Super Mario Brothers type?
>
>Give some of us a reason NOT to buy a Nitendo for our kids <wink>.

If you don't mind a bit of violence and bloodshed (well, death, there is no
blood), THE game for the IIgs is Task Force, one of the few i have actually
purchased after seeing it.  Incredible animation with lots of stuff and large
stuff going on (the copter is _huge_) and still it smooth scrolls, with some
very nicely drawn backgrounds.  7 or 8 types of weapons, each more destructive
and fun than the last.  Bodies fly everywhere.  If you're looking for a
Nintendo-like game, this is it, but it blows away anything a Nintendo can do.

Other suggestions... Alien Mind (also  incredible, requires some thought, but
mostly shoot-em up), Zany Golf, Warlock (really mindless shootem-up, but
good), California Games GS, Arkanoid I and II (hyper-breakout, addictive as
_hell_),  Tunnels of Armageddon (3-d tunnel shoot-em up, it'll give you
vertigo), FirePower (incredible tank game, play 2 player or 2 player over
modem),  Xenocide (lots of different stuff, a couple different games in one),
Crystal Quest (like the mac game, but better), and Orbizone (great asteroids,
$5 shareware!)

I would have to say that those are the "stars" of Apple IIgs arcade games...
I may have forgotten one or two, but all those are excellent.

Oh yes!  It's an Apple //e game, but is good enough that even a IIgs owner
will be impressed and addicted:  Prince of Persia.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (07/11/90)

Hehehehe... unless you had the GS first, you could just go out and buy a
Nintendo... you'd get off a lot cheaper :).

Gads.. there are a lot of good games for the GS.  It all depends on how old
the kids are.  If they aren't REALLY young (like 6 or 7) you could get Task
Force GS, one of the best games made for the GS.  It might be a little violent
for younger kids, but for the average kid it's a really good shoot 'em up with
lots of weapons and explosions.  If you haven't seen it, it is a lot like NARC
in the arcade and a bit like Crime Wave for the IBM.  Wonderful piece of work.
This would probably be comparable to a game along the lines of Contra (yes, I
do have a Nintendo, too :)  )

As far as 'Nintendo-like', maybe I'm missing something (I play stuff like
Dungeon Master, Bard's Tale, etc) or maybe just not a whole lot exists for the
Apple II.  There's plenty of educational stuff like the Carmen Sandiegos....
If I have a brainstorm and think of any others I'll post em here for ya.

 _______________________                             _______________________
|                        ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest                        |
|                   Internet: tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com                    |
|                      UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc                       |
|                 ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc@nosc.mil                   |
|______________ BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil ________________|

seah@ee.rochester.edu (David Seah) (07/14/90)

In article <9007091839.AA14034@apple.com> lwv27%cas.BITNET%CAS@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
>A co-worker has asked about recommendations for games (GS preferred,
>but others okay) which are 'Nitendo-like' .   Anyone have a list of
>games to buy and games to avoid?

I have Task Force, which is an excellent GS arcade shoot-'em-up.
It's violent, but very well done.  I like it! :-)  From the same
programmer who did the Sword of Sodan game demo.

There's a game from Broderbund's Kyodai division called "Ancient Land
of Ys".  They import promising Japanese games...this one is of the
"explore the kingdom with your little dude, bypass the nasty monsters,
solve the puzzles" variety.  I haven't played it myself, but it
was a fairly popular topic on America Online's Game Forum a few months
ago.

Xenocide is another GS arcade game that has received much praise on
its speed and animation.  It's not quite the Nintendo format, but
it might be what you're looking for.  It's from the Greenstone/Triplett
team (Pangea Software) that brought you the 24hour Games, Senseless Violence
and most lately the Cosmocade demo.

--
Dave Seah |       Omnidyne Systems-M         | INET: seah@ee.rochester.edu
  ^..^    | "User-Friendly Killing Machines" | America Online: AFC DaveS

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Olmy) (07/14/90)

:
>Xenocide is another GS arcade game that has received much praise on
>its speed and animation.  It's not quite the Nintendo format, but
>it might be what you're looking for.  It's from the Greenstone/Triplett
>team (Pangea Software) that brought you the 24hour Games, Senseless Violence
>and most lately the Cosmocade demo.

I've heard about this Xenocide game, and from what I've seen of another
from the same source (can't think of the name, but it resembles the arcade
game Blasteroids) I'm thinking of getting it.

Meanwhile, a game to avoid would be Gauntlet GS.  It does not use the GS
SHR graphics mode, instead using DHR, and does not take any advantage of
the GS's sound capabilities, instead emulating the IIe version's.  It
looks very much like they took the IIe version and patched it so that it
would run at the proper speed on a IIgs.

Luckily I was able to exchange it for Arkanoid II, which is a much better
game.

>--
>Dave Seah |       Omnidyne Systems-M         | INET: seah@ee.rochester.edu
>  ^..^    | "User-Friendly Killing Machines" | America Online: AFC DaveS
> yargh!   +----------------------------------------------------------------=*

	greg@hoss.unl.edu

	Sorry, a system error has occurred.

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (07/14/90)

Some games which seem to be fun are: Qix GS, ArkanoidI and II for the GS,
Tetris GS,(there's also a 3-d version from California Dreams), Silpheed,
Thexdor, LodeRunner GS(get it from the wuarchives). Others have been
mentioned, but the fact is that neither the Mac nor the GS have a large
arcade game selection. The Amiga, PC, ST all have more( but most of the
games are hardly worth the $40 they cost). If arcade games is what someone
wants, and they are prepared to buy the games(which is not the case for
most games on micros) then a dedicated game player is better. The 16 bit ones
are very nice. On the other hand, if we could only find a japanese ftp site
for GS software, people tell me that there is no shortage of GS arcade games
there. Hypercard GS and a CD-ROM will usher in a whole new form of game which
will prove to be far more interesting than the current stuff available for
micros. The reality is that most micro games are not addictive, not interesting,overpriced(they should cost $10 not $40) and basically a waste of time. There
are exceptions, but very few games have exploited the GS's capabilities and
combined them with an interesting/educational theme.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

darwinr@nyssa.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (07/14/90)

>A co-worker has asked about recommendations for games (GS preferred,
>but others okay) which are 'Nitendo-like' .   Anyone have a list of
>games to buy and games to avoid?

In addition to the games already mentioned, I'd add Sierra's Thexder.
It was one of the first games out for the gs, but the graphics are
good, and it's fairly fast.  Somewhat similar to some Nintendo games
I've seen.  Its 'sequel', though, Silpheed, was pretty disappointing.

Henry
--
throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
--

ericm@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Eric Mulholland) (07/15/90)

darwinr@nyssa.CS.ORST.EDU.UUCP (Henry Throop) writes:
>It was one of the first games out for the gs, but the graphics are
>good, and it's fairly fast.  Somewhat similar to some Nintendo games
>I've seen.  Its 'sequel', though, Silpheed, was pretty disappointing.

I think SilpHeed is one of the "better" games out there.  You polit a
spacecraft and battle against different alliens, each with there own
look, flying style and weapon.  Along the way you can aquire better
weapons youeself.  The sounds and graphics are good in my option.  The
only disappointing graphics are during the demo that runs while you
are not playing.  As always, the please look this up in your manual
question is annoying.  Silpheed is a lot easier to win then Thexder is,
but still a challange!

--
     ____
 Y_,_|[]|   Eric Mulholland

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/15/90)

> I've heard about this Xenocide game, and from what I've seen of another
> from the same source (can't think of the name, but it resembles the
arcade
> game Blasteroids) I'm thinking of getting it.

I think you're talking about orbizone...  Xenocide is much better.  There are
a couple levels that are completely different.  There is one where you are
flying your hovercraft over a 3-d landscape blasting the alien monsters and
picking up supplies, while they actually splatter on your windshield and block
your vision if you hit them.  Then there is the "caves" mode which reminds me
a lot of "caves of Olympus" or "Thexder", and an underwater caves which has
other interesting problems.   Then there is the overhead view segment, much
like bilestoad view or Victory Road or Alien mind.  So it's about 4 games in
one.

> Meanwhile, a game to avoid would be Gauntlet GS.

Generally accepted, I believe, as one of the worst GS games ever published...
Although serve and volley was also quite pitiful.