[comp.sys.apple2] 65832

MAC@MTUS5.BITNET (07/05/90)

      Has anyone hear anything about the 65832 chip?  It's been along time
since I last used a apple II!  This chip could do alot to extened the life
of the apple II.

Ed

THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU (07/06/90)

I recently received a data sheet on the W65C832 which was 53 typed pages.
I'm not saying anything about it though since I haven't even read it yet.

Daniel Thingvold   thingvol@lax.wisc.edu

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (07/09/90)

In article <20070519384555@lax.wisc.edu> THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU writes:
>I recently received a data sheet on the W65C832 which was 53 typed pages.
>I'm not saying anything about it though since I haven't even read it yet.
>Daniel Thingvold   thingvol@lax.wisc.edu

I thought the 65832 project was "on hold", and never made it to "data sheet"
stage.
If Daniel, or anyone else, really does have a data sheet, I for one would
really like to know what it can do.

What instructions are available?
What features does it have?
eg: lower cycle counts, more addressing modes, new registers etc.

and most importantly,

Where can I get a copy of the data sheet?

John MacLean.
--
This net: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au                   Phone: +61 2 427 2999
That net: uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac             Fax:   +61 2 427 7072

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (07/11/90)

Similarly, where can I get a data sheet for the 65802?

gdtltr@freezer.it.udel.edu (Gary Duzan) (07/11/90)

In article <90191.231446ART100@psuvm.psu.edu> ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:
=>Similarly, where can I get a data sheet for the 65802?

   Likewise. Also, I have heard rumors of a fast (~25 Mhz?) 65816. Any truth
to this?

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration

--
                          gdtltr@freezer.it.udel.edu
   _o_                    --------------------------                      _o_

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/12/90)

> Similarly, where can I get a data sheet for the 65802?

"Programming the 65816" by Eyes and Lichty has a 65816 data sheet.  The only
difference is that the 65816 has 8 more address lines.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (07/13/90)

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) writes:

>> Similarly, where can I get a data sheet for the 65802?

>"Programming the 65816" by Eyes and Lichty has a 65816 data sheet.  The only
>difference is that the 65816 has 8 more address lines.

Not true, the 65802 doesn't have certain pins that the 65816 has so that it can
be a plug-in replacement for the 6502.

Software-wise the two are exactly the same, except for a few instruction times
and that the 65802 thinks that every bank is the same -- it can only get at
one bank through its 6502 pinout.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (07/14/90)

In article <20070519384555@lax.wisc.edu> THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU writes:
>>I recently received a data sheet on the W65C832 which was 53 typed pages.
>>I'm not saying anything about it though since I haven't even read it yet.
>>Daniel Thingvold   thingvol@lax.wisc.edu

>I thought the 65832 project was "on hold", and never made it to "data sheet"
>stage.
>If Daniel, or anyone else, really does have a data sheet, I for one would
>really like to know what it can do.

Well, I understand that the 65832 spec sheets were put out by Western Design,
to see if they could generate enough interest in the device to make producing
it worthwhile.  No one seems to have a prototype, however.

>From my information, I heard it was 16-pin compatible.

Lynda

jwtaylor@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu (john w taylor) (07/15/90)

In article <24236@nigel.udel.EDU> gdtltr@freezer.it.udel.edu (Gary Duzan) writes:
>=>Similarly, where can I get a data sheet for the 65802?
>   Likewise. Also, I have heard rumors of a fast (~25 Mhz?) 65816. Any truth
>to this?

	The 65802 data is incorporated into the 65816 manual; to get
ahold of one, contact WDC:
			2166 East Brown Road
			Mesa, Arizona  85213
			(602) 962-4545

	As for the rumors about the '832, I'm told that it has_not_been
_designed_yet! (by somebody named "Catherine" answering the phone
there).  If you request it, WDC will send a "manual" which is
essentially a reprint of the '816/'802 manual. Furthermore, I'm told
that the data bus will stay at 8 bits until a multi-million dollar order
comes in requesting something else; only the internal architecture will
go to 32 bits.
	Hope this helps out.

-------------> John Taylor
Bitnet    : v131q5cg@ubvmsc