[comp.sys.apple2] Apple2 Development Question

rohn@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (David C Rohn) (07/15/90)

Okay netlanders, maybe YOU guys/gals can help me out!  I have been doing
some research on the best development environment for the appleIIs that will
suit my needs.  What I am looking for is a development environment that runs
on the IIGS, which allows me to develop code in a high level language
(C, pascal, or basic), is backwards compatible to the 'old' 8-bit AppleII
types, and produces fairly efficient executables (time and space).  Also,
one more important factor, I don't want to have to call in an exterminator for
this environment.  In other words, I want something that is fairly free of bugs.

I did some calling around to some software developers and they suggested that
I write everything in assembly. They said assembly was the way to go if I
wanted my program to run on 8-bit appleIIs. Do you agree?  If so what
assemblers should I use? ORCA/M?

I have a copy of Aztec's Manx C compiler.  It seems very bug ridden though.
I would like to develop everything in C, and they seem to have the only
full-powered C program for the earlier IIs.

Thanks,

    - Dave

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
To get to heaven, is to live here in hell...| University of Delaware
       - Sting -                            | internet: rohn@vax1.acs.udel.edu
                      			    | bitnet  : ffo16086@udelvm.bitnet
              'Dream of the Blue Turtles'   | work    : hpavla.avo.hp.com
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

denny@navier.ae.utexas.edu (Charles Denny) (07/16/90)

  Since you are running a //gs, I personally would either contact APDA
about getting a copy of APW and APW C (I'm not sure, but I believe
that a cross compiler exists to run under APW to allow the creation of
8 bit Apple programs on the GS). The other suggestion I have is to
look into ORCA/M and ORCA/C (these are essentially <sp> the same as
APW, I believe that they are compatible with APW but I could be
wrong.).  Hope this helps...

                                denny

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/16/90)

> What I am looking for is a development environment that runs
> on the IIGS, which allows me to develop code in a high level language
> (C, pascal, or basic), is backwards compatible to the 'old' 8-bit
AppleII
> types, and produces fairly efficient executables (time and space).
Also,

Hyper C produces apple //e code but runs on the IIgs, AND it is available from
Apple2-l at brownvm.brown.edu, along with the patch that lets it run on the
//gs.

Apple Pascal 1.3 runs on the //gs and produces apple //e code.  Both of these
are //e products of course, and just happen to run on the IIgs, and I think
that's what you're going to find, that any //gs specific development
environment/language is going to produce IIgs specific code.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com