[comp.sys.apple2] Power Glove GS?

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (07/14/90)

:I was reading an article in the July issue of Byte magazine the other day,
:called "Reach Out and Touch Your Data" (page 283); where the author described
:three commercial hand trackers:  first, the VPL Data Glove; second, the
Dexterous Hand Master from Exos, and third, the Power Glove from Mattel (you
know, the one you hook up to your Nintendo).

It was quite interesting.  These hand trackers are like a floating mouse,
among
other things (though I think the main purpose of at least the first two
devices
are more involved with virtual reality than anything else).  However, what
fascinated me was that the author of the article actually explains how to
connect the rather inexpensive Mattel Power Glove to your PC (the other two
more complicated and extremely expensive devices which I doubt anyone would
really like to operate on).

I'm wondering if anyone is inclined to attach the Power Glove to an Apple II?
The article is rather descriptive in how to actually do this to an IBM
compatible, suggesting attaching it to an unused printer port...

Lynda

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (System Administrator) (07/16/90)

Wilco makes a conversion unit that takes the input from Commodore/Atari type
joysticks/devices and converts it to a standard Apple ][ input.  I've used
several fast response joysticks this way and find a much better response in
games that use a switching type response rather than an analog smoothing type
response.

Perhaps the Power Glove would fit the converter?  Anyone tried?
Mike Ungerman                      |Proline:mikeu@pro-magic
Pro-Magic BBS: 407-366-0156        |uucp:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu
300/1200/2400/9600 Baud 24hrs      |arpa:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu@nosc.mil
Apple Tree of Central Florida, Inc |Internet:mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com
Orlando, Florida|Voice:407-366-0060|Compuserve:71326,31 Prodigy: JSNP58A

frankl@xrtll.uucp (Frank Lemire) (07/16/90)

  I've got the converter for the atari-type joystick here. Its fairly useless
to me since I got the Mach III joystick, but in its time it worked well
for me.

  If anyone would be interested in buying it from me, email me at any of
my address's below (or frankl@pro-generic.cts.com)

--Frank..
--
||   Frank Lemire [zippo]           --     zippo@contact.uucp [preferred]  ||