[comp.sys.apple2] GS.Shrinkit BUG

tjones%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Ray Jones) (07/10/90)

    I have found one fairly nasty bug in GS.Shrinkit 1.0 that I was
wondering if anyone else has experienced.  After running GS.Shrinkit,
if I throw something away, my Trah Can Icon dissappears, if I keep
using the system after that the icon becomes a bunch of garbage over
about half my screen which interferes with the icons that I leave on
my desktop.  Real pain in the butt...anyone else experience this problem?

    	    Neil M. Runyon - nrunyon@peruvian.utah.edu

		      Email: tjones@hell.utah.edu
  Login Name: Thouis Jones                     In Real Life: tjones
   My opinions are my own, but then again, no one else wants them.

paulh@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (07/10/90)

In article <1990Jul9.183022.17568@hellgate.utah.edu> tjones%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Ray Jones) writes:

>    I have found one fairly nasty bug in GS.Shrinkit 1.0 that I was
>wondering if anyone else has experienced.  After running GS.Shrinkit,
>if I throw something away, my Trah Can Icon dissappears, [ ... ]

Your problem is not ShrinkIt GS but the icons included with ShrinkIt GS.

If you'll open the icon file with a good icon editor (Dave Lyons has a nifty
one but I can't recall the name of it) and remove *only* the icons without
a filetype in them you'll fix your bug.

If anyone has a better way to do it I'd sure like to know!

--
Paul Hutmacher   |       paulh@nuchat.UUCP       |Sometimes the only thing a
P.O. Box 66046   | {texbell, uunet}!nuchat!paulh |western savage understands

tribby@hpindwa.HP.COM (David Tribby) (07/10/90)

tjones%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Ray Jones) writes:
>                                       ...  After running GS.Shrinkit,
> if I throw something away, my Trah Can Icon dissappears ...
>
>     	    Neil M. Runyon - nrunyon@peruvian.utah.edu
>
> 		      Email: tjones@hell.utah.edu
>   Login Name: Thouis Jones                     In Real Life: tjones

Neil (or is it Thouis or Ray?):

I heard on GEnie that this is caused by the gshk icons representing some
archive filetypes, which specify a file type of "anything else" (type 0,
subtype 0). When you toss one of those into the can, the finder gets
confused. The suggested remedy: change the file type in these icons to $04
(text), or get rid of the gshk icons file.

I used Dave Lyons' DIcEd icon editor to make the modifications, and haven't
lost a trash can since. Most of the icons require changing. The first few
specify a unique file type, but most use the file name suffix to identify
which files are archives.

-- Dave Tribby
                                   - - - - -
        ARPA: tribby%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP: hplabs!hpda!tribby

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (07/13/90)

I've encountered the 'ghost trashcan' bug in ShrinkitGS too. I found that
by throwing something away and then selecting 'Empty Trashcan' you can make
the can re-appear.

(PS: I've never seen the half screen of garbage part though).

joshuat@pro-sol.cts.com (Joshua M. Thompson) (07/17/90)

I've had that happen all the time in the Finder.  One time my trashcan even
"exploded"...it turned into a square of randomly colored pixels.  Talk about
weird.  Usually though, deleting something does bring it back.