[comp.sys.apple2] ORCA/C 2.0

crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (07/13/90)

   A while back there was much discussion here about the status of ORCA/C v.
2.0. Is this available yet? Is it still in beta 11? What is the current
version of ORCA/C, and what noticable problems are there with it, if any?

 ________________________                          _________________________
|                         ProLine: crew@pro-harvest                         |
|                    Internet: crew@pro-harvest.cts.com                     |
|                       UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!crew                        |
|                  ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!crew@nosc.mil                    |
|_______________ BITNET: crew%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil _________________|
 ________________________                          _________________________

magras@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Jean C Magras) (07/14/90)

In article <9303.apple.net.info-apple@pro-harvest> crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) writes:

>   A while back there was much discussion here about the status of ORCA/C v.
>2.0. Is this available yet? Is it still in beta 11? What is the current
>version of ORCA/C, and what noticable problems are there with it, if any?

I just spoke to mike, they're on beta 12 and are sending v1.1 copies to registered ORCA/C
owners who request it. I called because I'm trying to write a mini C compiler (don't
 anyone worry, I'm doing this as an exercise, not to run Mike out of town) . In fact if
 beta 12 refuses to compile my program, he asked me to send him a copy of the source code.
Maybe if he likes it or all you apple maniacs out there in netland want a j(unior) C
compiler......hum... or would people out there prefer a mini-lex compiler?

Just Thinking out loud!!
J.C.
#include <std/disclaim.h> :)
1736 burcham dr.
e. lansing mi 48823
magras@cpsin.cps.msu.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/17/90)

In article <9303.apple.net.info-apple@pro-harvest> crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) writes:
>   A while back there was much discussion here about the status of ORCA/C v.
>2.0. Is this available yet? Is it still in beta 11? What is the current
>version of ORCA/C, and what noticable problems are there with it, if any?

There is no ORCA/C V2.0 in the works; however, there is a V1.1 currently
undergoing Beta test.  The most recent Beta release was B12.  Licensees
of ORCA/C V1.0 can obtain a V1.1 Beta test version for the asking, from
information services such as America Online and Genie; however, the final
release of V1.1 is probably not too far off so you may not want to bother.
ORCA/C V1.0 licensees will receive a free upgrade to V1.1 when it is ready,
according to ByteWorks.

As of ORCA/C V1.1 B12, the language portion (compiler proper) is in pretty
good shape, with practically all reported bugs fixed.  There are still
problems with some of the headers and library functions, for example
<assert.h> is utterly non-standard conforming as it stands; these problems
have been reported and may be fixed for the final release.

I've found V1.1 B12 eminently usable, far more so than V1.0.