[comp.sys.apple2] Vote No YES on comp.sources.apple2

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca (Grant Delaney) (07/18/90)

What may do not realize is, that it is left to about 4 or 5 individuals to
see that everything passes back and forth across the different nets.  This
is not all automaticly done much involves the time of these individuals
and the co-operation of the different networks.  I personally MANUALLY
forward all Comp.binaries.apple2 to the archives on bitnet which then make
it available to the other sites.  I can not guarantee that the same will
happen for comp.sources.  If you are willing to provide this service on a
longterm on basis please let me know I'ld be glad to pass it on to you.

Otherwise please lets keep it as simple as possible.

Grant Delaney
delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca

jac@paul.rutgers.edu (Jonathan A. Chandross) (07/20/90)

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca (Grant Delaney)
> What may do not realize is, that it is left to about 4 or 5 individuals to
> see that everything passes back and forth across the different nets.  This
> is not all automaticly done much involves the time of these individuals
> and the co-operation of the different networks.  I personally MANUALLY
> forward all Comp.binaries.apple2 to the archives on bitnet which then make
> it available to the other sites.  I can not guarantee that the same will
> happen for comp.sources.  If you are willing to provide this service on a
> longterm on basis please let me know I'ld be glad to pass it on to you.

It turns out that it is easy to write some shell scripts that both
post a message (remember, comp.sources.apple2 would be moderated so
the moderator has to manually post each message) as well as send it
to a mailing list gateway.  So yes, I will provide that service for
comp.sources.apple2.  I will not do it for other groups; you're on
your own for those.

Instead of doing it by hand, I would write something to automatically
use the news article database.  Each night the program would find all
the new postings and email them to a particular address.  Doing stuff
my hand sounds awfully tedious.

I am told that one can configure the news software to automatically
a copy of every posting to a particular group to an email address.
I don't personally know how to do this; check with your site admin
and the news software documentation.  Some versions may not support
this.

Jonathan A. Chandross
Internet: jac@paul.rutgers.edu
UUCP: rutgers!paul.rutgers.edu!jac