[comp.sys.apple2] Sound Formats

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (07/19/90)

There is a sound format called AIFF by AE, when using the Audio Animator. This
same name is used by SoundSmith, Music Studio, etc...Also Hyperstudio will
import, via the Sound application, AIFF files saved by the AA( although it
does not support the AA directly). Now SoundSmith, MS, etc...do not seem to
recognize the AA's AIFF. Is there such a thing as AIFF? If so, is there a
program to convert all the confusing sound formats?

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (07/19/90)

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:

>There is a sound format called AIFF by AE, when using the Audio Animator. This
>same name is used by SoundSmith, Music Studio, etc...Also Hyperstudio will
>import, via the Sound application, AIFF files saved by the AA( although it
>does not support the AA directly). Now SoundSmith, MS, etc...do not seem to
>recognize the AA's AIFF. Is there such a thing as AIFF? If so, is there a
>program to convert all the confusing sound formats?

Whoa. Don't confuse yourself. I am aware of FIVE sampled sound formats used by
GS-specific programs:

1. Raw binary. This is the most common format for non-musical sounds, i.e.
	sysbeeps and sound files ported over from the Mac. Often the auxiliary
	type contains the default playback speed.

2. ACE compressed sound files. I don't know much else about these because I
	haven't done any work with them.

3. ASIF Musical instruments. These are used by SoundSmith and other music
	programs.

4. AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format) sounds. A much more generic way to
	store sounds. I have successfully ported many Mac sounds to the GS
	by saving them as AIFF from SoundEdit.

5. AE's own format, used by the Sonic Blaster software (when's the update?)
	and I suppose by the Audio Animator software. I'm strongly tempted
	to upgrade my SB to an AA now that MIDI synth is almost out.

We do need a conversion utility -- I'd rather see this built into AE's software
but a PD/Shareware program that just converts, plays, and allows primitive
editing would also be nice. SoundStudio does that (to an extent) but I think
it only handles raw binary sounds.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul18.230532.5165@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>4. AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format) sounds. A much more generic way to
>	store sounds. I have successfully ported many Mac sounds to the GS
>	by saving them as AIFF from SoundEdit.
>
>5. AE's own format, used by the Sonic Blaster software (when's the update?)
>	and I suppose by the Audio Animator software. I'm strongly tempted
>	to upgrade my SB to an AA now that MIDI synth is almost out.

Well, reading from the AA manual, I notice that(on p.102) the AIFF format      is described as "this is Apple's standard sound file format". The Audio Animator
does save sounds in this format. I'll try SoundEdit, but the situation is still
most confusing. Further, the AA will not recognize standardrd midi files. The
GS has the capability of being a playback synthesizer. Would be nice to be able
to use it that way.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (07/20/90)

Regarding the Audio Animator, my reply should have read AE describes
AIFF as " This is Apple's standard sound file format". Sorry for
the confusion, but as I have switched to the GS from a Mac I'm
just getting used to the terminal package.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]