[comp.sys.apple2] 3.5" and 5.25" disk drive conflict

mdj@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark de Jong) (07/15/90)

Got question for you GS hardware gurus out there:

Every-so-often, as I'm working on my GS, I'll try to access my 3.5" drive and
both the 3.5" and 5.25" drive lights will come on.  Once this happens, all I
can do is press oa-control-reset and reboot to make the drives work properly.

I have a ROM01 GS with an Apple 3.5" drive and an old Disk II daisy-chained to
the 3.5" with one of those third-party cables that allow Disk II's to be
connected to the back of a 3.5" drive.

Please e-mail responses.  Thanks.

        -- Mark de Jong
           Beagle Bros

 ProLine : mdj@pro-beagle          UUCP : crash!pnet01!pro-beagle!mdj
    INET : mdj@pro-beagle.cts.com  ARPA : crash!pnet01!pro-beagle!mdj@nosc.mil

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (07/15/90)

In <21696.chatter.infoapple@pro-beagle> mdj@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark de Jong) writes:

>Got question for you GS hardware gurus out there:

>Every-so-often, as I'm working on my GS, I'll try to access my 3.5" drive and
>both the 3.5" and 5.25" drive lights will come on.  Once this happens, all I
>can do is press oa-control-reset and reboot to make the drives work properly.

>I have a ROM01 GS with an Apple 3.5" drive and an old Disk II daisy-chained to
>the 3.5" with one of those third-party cables that allow Disk II's to be
>connected to the back of a 3.5" drive.

>Please e-mail responses.  Thanks.

>        -- Mark de Jong
>           Beagle Bros

Check your old technotes. I think this was not only covered there, but
there was a free controller board upgrade at one time and I seem to recall
it was to fix this type of problem. What I don't remember is if it was
for the Apple 3.5 or Unidisk 3.5.

I have two of the older disk ][ drives (with the 20 pin connectors)
connected to my 3.5 and have no such problems..

--
   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

SXAEG@ALASKA.BITNET ("ACAD3A::SXAEG") (07/17/90)

  Though my set-up is slightly different I have the same problem as Mark
mentions.  An awkward way around it is to disable the 5.25 driver and
unplug the cable to the 5.25 drive, re-enabling and plugging it back in
if you plan to use it...but that is very awkward, indeed.
  I checked with the local dealer for I had heard it is a problem with
the 3.5 driver but they said they had not heard of such a problem.  They're
pretty good as Apple dealers go, so....?
  I'll be interested in any responses to this problem.  Thanks!
     ...Art in Alaska...

cmoir@wpi.wpi.edu (Silver Singer) (07/21/90)

In article <9007162308.AA17730@apple.com> "ACAD3A::SXAEG"  <SXAEG%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> writes:

>  Though my set-up is slightly different I have the same problem as Mark
>mentions.  An awkward way around it is to disable the 5.25 driver and
>unplug the cable to the 5.25 drive, re-enabling and plugging it back in
>if you plan to use it...but that is very awkward, indeed.

Yep, that's how I have to do it.  Consequently, the 5 1/4 stays
unplugged most of the time.  This is ok, I guess, but I agree it's
rather an asinine way of doing things.  Anyone have a solution that is
guaranteed to work?  (I have a new GS, 3.0 ROM, one 5 1/4, one 3.5)

Thanks in advance...

-Chris

PS: I tried the suggested solution (sector editing a 5 1/4 disk) but
it didn't seem to work...

--
 \  //\-\    Chris the Silver Singer     cmoir@wpi.wpi.edu
  \/o  \/-\   (Silver Singer the Silver Unicorn)