[comp.sys.apple2] Apple II Dealers

herwin@pro-novapple.cts.com (Harry Erwin) (07/19/90)

Unless FC Business Systems still handles the Apple II, it appears the
Washington DC area just lost its last dealer now that Computerland has gone
"Mac-only."  Is the situation similar in other major metropolitan areas?
Harry Erwin
    proline: pro-novapple!herwin
             gnh-starport!herwin
    uucp: crash!pro-novapple!herwin
          crash!pnet01!gnh-starport!herwin
    arpa: crash!pro-novapple!herwin@nosc.mil
          crash!pnet01!gnh-starport!herwin@nosc.mil
    Internet: herwin@pro-novapple.cts.com
    Telenet: herwin/trw
    Applelink: herwin

rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) (07/19/90)

You mean Clinton Computers and Frederick Computer Products no longer
carry Apple II stuff?  If so, I'm glad I left Maryland when I did.

Ray

Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7340 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |               | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/21/90)

> Unless FC Business Systems still handles the Apple II, it appears the
> Washington DC area just lost its last dealer now that Computerland has
> gone "Mac-only."  Is the situation similar in other major metropolitan

Your Apple dealer was Computerland?  God, how horrible.  I have yet to run
into one computerland anywhere in the U.S.A. where the people had a clue about
_any_ computer, including the IBM, much less the Apple II.

And they always have such "creative" repair solutions.  They wanted to charge
me labor to replace the video ROMS on my Apple IIgs (a free upgrade).  I
brought in a //e with a IIgs motherboard (the upgrade) and spent half an hour
convinving the idiots that it was _not_ a //e but a IIgs in a //e case.  Even
the little IIgs plate they give you for the case didn't convince them.  I
finally hooked it up to a monitor and drive and showed them.  _Then_ they
demanded that I tell them what I did.  They thought I stole a IIgs motherboard
and put it in my //e case!  F***ing morons.

The didn't happen to me personally, but I had a friend go in whose lithium
battery was kaput.  Computerland, instead of clipping the battery and
installing a new one, wanted to swap his motherboard and charge him for a new
one!  What a racket...

And they're not much better with the Mac and IBM, either, as I have been
forced in some cases to deal with them about those.  I've seen Computerlands
in Seattle, New York, Terre Haute, Indianapolis, and Denver.  If there's one
here in San Diego, I'm not even going in...

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey) (07/21/90)

Clinton Computers is now Computerland Mid-atlantic and Fredrick is not exactly
in the Washington metro area.  They're in Woodbridge, VA and Fredrick, Md.
You an special order a //e or //c from Computerland now.
All of their ads now are for macs only.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey) (07/22/90)

> Your Apple dealer was Computerland?  God, how horrible.  I have yet to run
> into one computerland anywhere in the U.S.A. where the people had a clue about
In the Washington area, Clinton Computer was about the only large Apple dealer
About a year ago they sold out more or less to Computerland and now call
themselves "Computerland - Mid-atlantic" to tell them apart from the other
computerland stores in the area who aren't part of the Clinton empire.