message;
		System Error
	Can't complete this operation

	I tried replacing my system, but that didn't help.  If I boot from
my 3.5 I can do the operations on the 3.5 disk, but I still get the same
error on the Hard Drive...any ideas what may be up??

	Thanks, Neil Runyon

Neil M. Runyon			CyberSpace - Watch out for AI, they will rip
U of U - CS Dept				your eyes out...along with a
nrunyon@peruvian.utah.edu			few other vital body parts.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul21.173532.20068@hellgate.utah.edu> nrunyon%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Neil Runyon) writes:
>I was recently going through my 3.5" disks when my screen went to
>garbage.  When I rebooted my Hard Drive I found that the applications that
>I had left on my desktop had been put back into their folders, except for
>3 programs.  When I try to put them into a folder I get the following error
>message;
>		System Error
>	Can't complete this operation

Sounds like the system detected damage in the Root directory of your
disk while it was trying to write out the Finder.Data file.  This
would explain things getting "put away"--Finder.Data records what
files from the main directory are pulled out onto the desktop, as
well as where they're arranged in the window.

The directory is probably damaged in a minor way (bad file count),
and a disk repair program like Mr. Fixit will probably have no trouble
restoring it to a Happy State.

--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.