[comp.sys.apple2] kermit problems halfway solved

max@maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) (07/19/90)

I have solved part of my Kermit problems.  I have been attempting to use an
Apple IIGS with a Super Serial Card and a Hayes Smartmodem 2400 to contact
a Telebit Trailblazer Plus modem and Sun Sparc at the office.  As I was
reading the ZLink documentation it mentioned the Super Serial Card switch
settings, esp. S2-7 must be on, so I figured I'd give it a try with Kermit.
I took out the Super Serial Card manual and reference card and could not
find what the combination with S2-7 on and S1-6 and S1-7 on was.  It showed
each of S2-7 on while S1-6or7 (i can't remember which) off and vice versa.
Never both on.  While I was at it I upped the Baud swicthes from 300 to 19200
which probably is bypassed in software, since I have been successfully
tranferring/communicating at 1200 and 2400 for a long time.  This switch
setting now allows me to connect every time (all of my other comm. programs
AppleWorks GS, ZLink, TalkIsCheap, Software,... had no problem with the old
switch settings).  But when I attempt to put the C-Kermit on the Sun in
a send or on server mode and get the GS to receive, the statistics just
sit there timing out.  No transfer.  What could be the problem.
Will a serial cable from the built-in modem port help (instead of using
the Super Serial Card)?

--
Max Heffler			internet: max@lgc.com
Landmark Graphics Corp.		uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (07/21/90)

In article <1990Jul19.133213.19533@lgc.com>, max@maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) writes:
>  But when I attempt to put the C-Kermit on the Sun in
> a send or on server mode and get the GS to receive, the statistics just
> sit there timing out.  No transfer.  What could be the problem.
>
> --
> Max Heffler			internet: max@lgc.com
> Landmark Graphics Corp.		uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max
> 333 Cypress Run, Suite 100      phone: (713) 579-4751
> Houston, Texas  77094

When I connect through the 7171 here parity is unimportant *unless*
I try a file transfer. This might be worth looking into. There are
several other parameters that must be set correctly for file xfer only.
I like to make a hard copy of my local settings and then a hard copy
of the remote's settings. You might want to use one of your other
software programs to capture the remotes settings. Then set your
version of Kermit to those parameters and save it.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *

max@lgc.com (Max Heffler) (07/23/90)

Parity, etc. do not seem to be the problem with my kermit problems.
I believe I have a handshake problem because of the XON/XOFF and other
handshaking from our terminal server.  Until they get hardware handshaking
working (using a cable with more connections), I believe I will continue
to have kermit and x/y/zmodem problems.