[comp.sys.apple2] Finder suggestion for Dave Lyons

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (07/15/90)

Dave,

I know that, since you work for Apple, you can't divulge proprietary
information so I won't ask if this is possible or will be possible. I will
just make a suggestion that I would like to see the following:

Since GS/OS is now a forked file OS like the Mac OS, it should be possible to
have 'Get Info' bring up a dialog that text can be added to ala those on the
Mac. I would love to see this in a future GS/OS release.

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (07/17/90)

In article <350.apple.net@pro-angmar> kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) writes:

> Since GS/OS is now a forked file OS like the Mac OS, it should be possible to
> have 'Get Info' bring up a dialog that text can be added to ala those on the
> Mac. I would love to see this in a future GS/OS release.

It's not that simple.  Finder info (on the mac) is not stored in a resource.
It's stored as part of the directory info.  Implementing it the same way under
GS/OS is infeasible.  There are philosophical problems with creating a special
resource in a file to store such info (it could be considered a Finder virus
:-).  IMHO, don't hold your breath waiting for this one.

--
Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/18/90)

> There are philosophical problems with creating a special
> resource in a file to store such info (it could be considered a
> Finder virus :-).  IMHO, don't hold your breath waiting for this one.

I usually consider FINDER.DATA and FINDER.ROOT to be very nasty viruses when
they go around inserting themselves into directories where I don't want
them...  Luckily, you can set the preferences!

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (07/23/90)

In article <3177.apple.net2@pro-grouch> rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) writes:
>I usually consider FINDER.DATA and FINDER.ROOT to be very nasty viruses when
>they go around inserting themselves into directories where I don't want
>them...  Luckily, you can set the preferences!

Your dislike of "finder droppings" is noted.

These are *not* viruses, though.  You know that already, but I will take a
minute to point it out for any folks who get most of their information
from messages like these.

It's important for people understand what viruses are and what they should
be concerned about, and not conclude "Oh no, I've got a virus!" every time
they get an I/O error or a disk scan or a file they don't remember
creating (it was probably created legitimately by a program they tried out
once...check the date and try to remember).

Anyway:  A *virus* is a program that inserts itself into other programs.

Finder.Data and Finder.Root and Finder.Def files are data files created
by the Finder.  They just have information in them, and they're
perfectly normal.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/24/90)

> These are *not* viruses, though.  You know that already, but I will
> take a minute to point it out for any folks who get most of their
> information from messages like these.

Yes, I am sorry that you didn't think of that.  To all who had a heart
attack: I said that I considered FINDER.DATA and FINDER.ROOT to be viruses
merely because the finder keeps putting them everywhere, not because they
might be actual viruses...