[comp.sys.apple2] Vulcan questions, Diagnostics problem, GS/OS bug??

dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/24/90)

  Ever since I got my Vulcan 40 hard drive, my computer has been acting up
every once in a while.  Sometime on boot-up, the screen will fill with
wonderful strange characters and proceed to do nothing else.  Sometimes I can
see what's going on underneath the strange characters, but it will usually
die soon after.  So I got smart one time and did the good-old ctrl-open-close-
reset and ran diagnostics (oh, yea, reset didn't do a thing to the funky
screens).  I got error 02E01F00 and a nice ear-removing beep.  Any clues?

  Number two --> It seems my Vulcan has now taken upon itself to lose certain
files from my hard drive when I write new things on it.  So I initialized all
40 meg, got a virgin system disk (no virus) and proceeded to rebuild my
hard drive when things started fading into oblivion again.  I seem to think
this and the previous have something in common -> like a bad controller card.
Any thoughts?

  Number three --> I've noticed that when I get a certain amount of DA's on
the system, GS/OS will either crash immediately, crash when doing a Get Info
(to change the inactive state of the DA's) or crash when exiting an application
more specifically TML pascal II.  Everything works great with no DA's, and
it isn't any specific DA that is causing the problem, i've tried just about
all the possible combinations, and the crash occurs when I exceed a certain
K of DA's installed.  I thought that it could be that GS/OS was getting
shoved into a bad memory location, but all RAM tests out to be fine.  Is this
a problem with the memory manager or what?

Thanx for your time..

                                                                             .
 Derek Taubert --> derek@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu  ||  dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu .
 Anyone who programs or has an idea for a program for the IIgs, PLEASE send  .
 me mail!                                                                    .

nparker@CIE.UOREGON.EDU (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul24.013441.212@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>  Ever since I got my Vulcan 40 hard drive, my computer has been acting up
>every once in a while.  Sometime on boot-up, the screen will fill with
>wonderful strange characters and proceed to do nothing else.  Sometimes I can
>see what's going on underneath the strange characters, but it will usually
>die soon after.  So I got smart one time and did the good-old ctrl-open-close-
>reset and ran diagnostics (oh, yea, reset didn't do a thing to the funky
>screens).  I got error 02E01F00 and a nice ear-removing beep.  Any clues?

According to the Apple IIGS Technical Reference by Michael Fischer, that
error code comes from the "RAM-1 -- moving inversions" test (the one that
gives you all the pretty graphics displays).  The first two digits mean
that the error happened during test 2, and the remaining digits mean that a
memory error was detected at location $E0/1F00.

BTW, even though the Apple IIGS Technical Reference is very much out of
date, it's the only source I'm aware of for the meanings of the self-test
error codes.

>[...question about Vulcan problems punted...]
>  Number three --> I've noticed that when I get a certain amount of DA's on
>the system, GS/OS will either crash immediately, crash when doing a Get Info
>(to change the inactive state of the DA's) or crash when exiting an application
>more specifically TML pascal II.  Everything works great with no DA's, and
>it isn't any specific DA that is causing the problem, i've tried just about
>all the possible combinations, and the crash occurs when I exceed a certain
>K of DA's installed.  I thought that it could be that GS/OS was getting
>shoved into a bad memory location, but all RAM tests out to be fine.  Is this
>a problem with the memory manager or what?

Sounds somewhat similar to a problem that I had not too long ago...the
Finder's fonts and icons were inexplicably turning into garbage at odd
times, and the system was crashing whenever I tried to return from other
programs to the Finder.  The problem turned out to be a bad memory card.  (I
found this out during a terrible Night of Damnation in which the bad card
ate not only its own chips but also a large supply of replacement
chips...)

If you have access to a program that can run a continuous memory test of
ALL memory (the built-in ROM 01 self-test only tests banks 0, 1, E0, and
E1), I suggest using it.

--
Neil Parker               parker@astro.uoregon.edu
nparker@cie.uoregon.edu   parkern@jacobs.cs.orst.edu