[comp.sys.apple2] World GeoGraph

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (07/14/90)

I had a chance to read Byte Magazine's July issue from cover to cover (I
was in Cabo San Lucas for a few days) and came across an article reviewing
geography software (the article was entitled "The World According to
Micros").

Amazingly, one of the programs that was mentioned (and given a fairly
decent review) was "World GeoGraph"; an Apple IIGS-only software program.
I've been reading Byte for awhile now, and find it extremely informative
but totally lacking as far as referring to anything connected with the
Apple II (it seems to be delegated to the "toy" or "antique" category).

However, it is interesting to point out what they did say about this
program (and inferences to the Apple IIGS); it sort of exemplifies the
problems and frustrations we have with the current hardware.

>World GeoGraph is a geography-learning tool designed primarily for
>classroom use.  It has a highly interactive relationship between the
>maps and the database.  This Apple IIGS program is designed around
>five geographical themes--location, place, relationships within areas,
>movement, and regions.  It beautifully integrates these concepts in a
>way that stimulates users to think creatively and analytically.

>The manual and accompanying classroom guide are excellent, and the
>program is quite intuitive to use.  Despite the Apple IIGS monitor's
>COURSE RESOLUTION (640 by 200 pixels), the global and regional maps
>are clear and reasonably detailed. (emphasis added)

>Although the SPEED of execution is sometimes a bit SLOW, you will find
>World GeoGraph flexible in displaying its data with maps, graphs, and
>tables. ....

And there you have it, folks.  Too slow; lousy resolution.  Come-on
Apple.  We need a hardware upgrade.

Lynda

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (07/14/90)

In article <3504@crash.cts.com> lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:
>I had a chance to read Byte Magazine's July issue from cover to cover (I
>was in Cabo San Lucas for a few days) and came across an article reviewing
>geography software (the article was entitled "The World According to
>Micros").
>
>Amazingly, one of the programs that was mentioned (and given a fairly
>decent review) was "World GeoGraph"; an Apple IIGS-only software program.
>I've been reading Byte for awhile now, and find it extremely informative
>but totally lacking as far as referring to anything connected with the
>Apple II (it seems to be delegated to the "toy" or "antique" category).
>And there you have it, folks.  Too slow; lousy resolution.  Come-on
>Apple.  We need a hardware upgrade.
To say that World Geograph is too slow is just not true. It may not be up
to the speed of software running off 386 and 486 based computers( which is
basically Byte's bread and butter with the occasional foray into the A3000
and MacII worlds), but I have had no problem running it off a server, from
a hard disk or from a floppy. The graphics are rather nice, and while the
GS does not have VGA resolution, keep in mind that VGA is only now just
catching on. Until recently you had CGA( and the GS's graphics are much
better than CGA) as the main video mode for educational PC software.

I do agree that the GS needs some improvement in the speed and video areas,
but let's not overstate what is required. An evolutionary approach, such as
the "rumoured" ROM04 at a low cost, and better integration with the Mac is
something I would like to see and I'm sure Apple will act responsibly, as it
always has, and proceed accordingly. To do otherwise would certainly sour
the relationship between GS users and Apple to the detriment of both.

Perhaps Byte will be so kind as to tell us why a company as large as IBM can
come out with a "home" computer of the likes of the PS/1 ?

There's more to computing than speed. If you want speed, buy a Risc
workstation.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (07/16/90)

Heh... "too slow; lousy resolution"?  Well, Lynda, I wouldn't go THAT far.  I
have World Geograph.  Even though I am a college student I have found it quite
useful for my own geography classes.  It's a wonderful little program
(probably lacking next to PC Globe 3.0) but I have no complaints.  The maps
are colorful and the resoultion (in 640 mode) is fine.  Nothing is fuzzy or
questionable.  And the 'gazetteer' is complete and informative.

As for the speed, sure, the maps don't POP up on the screen, but they don't
take three years either.  The problem is, I think... everyone wants an IBM
inside an Apple case.  I don't look at IBM and then look at my Apple and wish
it could go as fast or have VGA comparable grahpics.  I look at my Apple and
say "Wow, good machine.  It does just what I want it to.  I'm happy with it
the way it is.  After all, I DID pick it over an IBM."

If you want to go faster, get a Transwarp.  Simple as that.   Personally, I
can't afford one, but I'm not complaining.  Maybe I am an odd one out here...
dunno...

        "Journey of many dollar begin with one dollar." -- Decker Moss
 _______________________                             _______________________
|                        ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest                        |
|                   Internet: tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com                    |
|                      UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc                       |
|                 ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc@nosc.mil                   |
|               BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil                 |
|_____________ SnailMail: PO Box 502, Lansing, IL 60438-0502 _______________|
   If you're a college age, Australian Apple IIGS owner, please mail me.

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (07/17/90)

>Heh... "too slow; lousy resolution"?  Well, Lynda, I wouldn't go that far.

Well, perhaps I didn't say it clear enough.  The article in Byte I was
referring to said the program was too slow, and the resolution was coarse.
I would imagine they were using it on a regular Apple IIGS (the 2.8 mhz
kind...  who knows, it could have even been set to 1 mhz...).

Accelerators are great, but if the basic machine runs at 2.8 mhz, then that's
how the whole world looks at it.  It's slow, compared to what else is out
there (BTW, I don't mean to set up another debate about the x4 factor with the
65816 vs the other guys...).

The resolution is acceptable, but with the rest of 'em capable of 640 x 400
and better, our machine is getting way behind.

Just think how neat it would be to have our machine with this better
resolution, and a decent speed as standard.  It would bring us up-to-date.

BTW, I have a transwarp; it can run at 9 mhz.

Lynda

>Everyone wants an IBM inside an Apple case.  I don't look at IBM and then
>look at my Apple and wish it could go as fast and have VGA comparable
>graphics.

I dunno.  I look at my Apple and say, why can't Apple make my 9 mhz Apple IIGS
standard?  A redesign of the motherboard would give the speed I have to
everyone.

I dunno.  A friend of mine who designed a 640 x 400 card for doing graphics on
the Apple II gave me a demo when I was curious to see what it would look like.
It was monochrome, but resolution was terrific (the card was developed a few
years ago for a specific use, and was never sold).  Gosh, I had 640 x 400
graphics running at 9 mhz.

I don't want an IBM inside my Apple.   I want my Apple to be as good as an IBM
(I know it can be).

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (07/18/90)

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:

>Accelerators are great, but if the basic machine runs at 2.8 mhz, then that's
>how the whole world looks at it.

Exactly. Which is why we need system 6.0 ASAP.

>The resolution is acceptable, but with the rest of 'em capable of 640 x 400
>and better, our machine is getting way behind.

You want 640x400? Buy a video overlay card. I know how to hack display a 400
line graphic on it, and I'd love to see a QuickDraw400 INIT, but Apple either
hasn't written one or hasn't released it yet.

>Just think how neat it would be to have our machine with this better
>resolution, and a decent speed as standard.  It would bring us up-to-date.

Essentially, yes. There's more that needs to be done, but those are the two
biggies.

> I look at my Apple and say, why can't Apple make my 9 mhz Apple IIGS
>standard?  A redesign of the motherboard would give the speed I have to
>everyone.

Bingo. Apple knows how to fix the GS. Hell, even I could tell you how to fix
the GS. It's more a question of product strategy and internal politics.

>I dunno.  A friend of mine who designed a 640 x 400 card for doing graphics on
>the Apple II gave me a demo when I was curious to see what it would look like.
>It was monochrome, but resolution was terrific (the card was developed a few
>years ago for a specific use, and was never sold).  Gosh, I had 640 x 400
>graphics running at 9 mhz.

I wouldn't mind seeing that, or at least hearing a technical overview of the
board and the design issues that went into it.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (07/18/90)

In article <3575@crash.cts.com> lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:
>I dunno.  A friend of mine who designed a 640 x 400 card for doing graphics on
>the Apple II gave me a demo when I was curious to see what it would look like.
>It was monochrome, but resolution was terrific (the card was developed a few
>years ago for a specific use, and was never sold).  Gosh, I had 640 x 400
>graphics running at 9 mhz.

Was the 640x400 running on the GS RGB monitor? If so, was it an interlaced
signal? Where did you get a 9MHz TWGS? I have a ROM03 with a 7MHz TWGS, and
in the 8 months or so that I have had it, I have gone through 2 TWGS's. I'm
still waiting for the 2cond one to return from AE(fortunately the DMA SCSI
card came out, otherwise the GS would be unbearable from the Finder). Let's
see, AE has probably had the TWGS's around 90% of the time. I wonder if they
are trying to redefine the meaning of a one year warranty?

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/18/90)

In article <3575@crash.cts.com> lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:
>The resolution is acceptable, but with the rest of 'em capable of 640 x 400
>and better, our machine is getting way behind.

I think the restriction to 4 colors (per scan line, might as well be for
the whole image in practical applications) is even worse than the spatial
resolution.  640x400x4 would still be appreciably behind current expectations
for small-computer graphics.  640x400x256 would be good enough for almost all
purposes.

>I don't want an IBM inside my Apple.  I want my Apple to be as good as an IBM
>(I know it can be).

That's for sure.  If I need an IBM PC clone I'll buy one; no point in
setting up an incompletely compatible hybrid for about the same cost.
But I'd much rather continue to have just one computer on my desk that
supports my large library of existing software AND provides the
capabilities I need for new applications.

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (07/20/90)

>I do agree that the GS needs some improvement in the speed and video areas..

I agree, also.  But, let's not forget... if and when Apple improves the GS in
either of those areas: 1) will they offer an upgrade?  and  2) will it NOT
cost an arm and a leg?

It may sound funny, but, at the moment, I am not looking forward to a hardware
upgrade.  It would be nice, but, knowing Apple, VERY expensive.  Not only
that, but if they do upgrade the hardware, my current configuration will
suddenly be outdated, and I haven't got the cash to get up to par right now.

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (07/21/90)

In article <9596.apple.net.info-apple@pro-harvest> tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) writes:
>It may sound funny, but, at the moment, I am not looking forward to a hardware
>upgrade.  It would be nice, but, knowing Apple, VERY expensive.  Not only
>that, but if they do upgrade the hardware, my current configuration will
>suddenly be outdated, and I haven't got the cash to get up to par right now.

I can understand you concerns, and I am sure that Apple will make every
attempt to keep the installed base of GS users. Moreover, it is important
that a distinction be kept between the GS and the more business oriented
Mac(where upgrades are expensive). A VERY inexpensive GS( say $400) sold
through Sears,etc...or computer shops which could choose to add value( and
hence charge more) would be a great way to put a Finder oriented computer
in many a family home. But a slight improvement to the graphics and a 5-8MHz
processor are important. The key is getting marketshare, and the key to
that is a very low price.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/22/90)

> I can understand you concerns, and I am sure that Apple will make every
> attempt to keep the installed base of GS users. Moreover, it is

Hahahaha!  Right....  You think they're about due for an about face?

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (07/23/90)

In article <3284.apple.net2@pro-grouch> rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) writes:

>> I can understand you concerns, and I am sure that Apple will make every
>> attempt to keep the installed base of GS users. Moreover, it is
>
>Hahahaha!  Right....  You think they're about due for an about face?

Well, I assume Apple will act in its best tradition. What differentiates
Apple from most other micro computer companies is that they are not
afraid of approaching problems in their own way. Otherwise, we would
simply be dealing with a micro world dominated totally by the Intel
structure.

I wish I had the figures on the installed GS base(in and out of schools).
One question is whether an "improved" GS would only appeal to the
installed base. Would people buy it? I am a bit out of touch with the
market in the US, but is the GS actually selling?

With CD-ROM, and the new drivers for the GS, I see a wonderful opportunity
for a whole new type of software. Yesterday, I bought a "book" on CD-ROM
made by a company called Decis. It's for the Mac but is in colour. The
book is Cinderella. But the interactive capabilities make it a whole new
experience. There are other titles(The PaperBack Princess by Robert
Munsch- a canadian writer of children's books- is one of note) aimed at
children of various ages. They are not using HyperCard for the interface,
but a GS version of HyperCard could. This is the future. The GS needs to
be able to take advantage of this sort of thing.

There is much to be said for keeping the Mac mainly(but not exclusively)
for business, and the GS mainly(but not exclusively) for education/home.
Many people want a family computer, if it is related to their work or
their childrens' education. The GS fits one of these requirements, but
it is way overpriced and needs some improvements. Apple should be a bit
concerned by IBM's PS/1(which is probably just an initial attempt before
that product is given a 386sx, CD-ROM,etc...). A GS priced at $400, and
sold through mass outlets would be one way to counter the PS/1. The Finder
needs to be found in homes. Whether it is the GS or the Mac is Apple's
decision. It is hard to imagine a colour Mac for $400.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions,really!]

lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul22.232121.25333@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>In article <3284.apple.net2@pro-grouch> rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) writes:
>>
>>> I can understand you concerns, and I am sure that Apple will make every
>>> attempt to keep the installed base of GS users. Moreover, it is
>
>Well, I assume Apple will act in its best tradition. What differentiates
[stuff deleted]

>I wish I had the figures on the installed GS base(in and out of schools).

This is a rough figure, but there are about 5 million Apple IIs installed
and about 1 million are GS.

>One question is whether an "improved" GS would only appeal to the
>installed base. Would people buy it? I am a bit out of touch with the
>market in the US, but is the GS actually selling?

Yes! If I dig a little I can find the source for this; but last year,
the Apple IIgs was one of the top ten selling personal computers, and
may have even been in the top five (I don't exactly remember).

[more stuff deleted]
>that product is given a 386sx, CD-ROM,etc...). A GS priced at $400, and
>sold through mass outlets would be one way to counter the PS/1. The Finder
>needs to be found in homes. Whether it is the GS or the Mac is Apple's
>decision. It is hard to imagine a colour Mac for $400.

It's hard to imagine a GS for $400 too. Apple's approach seems to be
keep the price where it is and add more features.

>Philip McDunnough
>University of Toronto

Ray Lang
lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

mvk@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael V. Kent) (07/24/90)

There has recently been discussion about whether the Apple II has been selling.
I don't have the latest figures, but an early 1989 issue of an IBM mag had
their top ten list.  The number one model in sales in 1988 was an IBM PS/2
(model 30?) selling 350k units.  Number 2 was the Apple IIGS selling 340k units.
It was very interesting reading the IBM mag's explanation of how something like
that could happen.  The Apple IIe came in at about number 6.  They didn't even
try to explain that. :)

Mike                                                mvk@pawl.rpi.edu

pmcd@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) (07/25/90)

In article <?L1$-P&@rpi.edu> mvk@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael V. Kent) writes:
>There has recently been discussion about whether the Apple II has been selling.
>I don't have the latest figures, but an early 1989 issue of an IBM mag had
>their top ten list.  The number one model in sales in 1988 was an IBM PS/2
>(model 30?) selling 350k units.  Number 2 was the Apple IIGS selling 340k units.
>It was very interesting reading the IBM mag's explanation of how something like
>that could happen.  The Apple IIe came in at about number 6.  They didn't even
>try to explain that. :)

Ok, would you have the exact reference to that. Was the 340k units via the
retail market or what? This information is important. It's hard to believe
that the GS would have sold so many in one year. Do you have any recent
figures? Are these worldwide numbers, or just the US?

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.edu(down for a few days)
[my opinions]