[comp.sys.apple2] Problems with Kermit

bb0@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Bowie Bailey) (07/22/90)

I'm using Kermit 3.86 and it works perfectly except for one major problem.
One of the machines I work on is a VMS system and the send command gets quite
a bit of use for communication between users.  When a send appears on the
screen, it beeps.  Apparently during that beep, kermit loses most of the rest
of the line.  Is this a problem with Kermit or do I have something set up
wrong?  I'm running an Apple IIgs with 512K memory.  I had this problem at
1200 baud;  I haven't tried it at 300 yet.
Any help would be appreciated.

-Bowie    bb0@beach.cis.ufl.edu

carpentr@serss0.fiu.edu (Ralph P Carpenter) (07/23/90)

In article <23931@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> bb0@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:

>I'm using Kermit 3.86 and it works perfectly except [...]  during [a]
beep, kermit loses most of the rest of the line.  Is this a problem
with Kermit[?]

	Yes, this is a current feature of Kermit-65 on the IIgs. ;-)

	My solution(s): 1) turn the sound OFF from the Control Panel;
this will make the screen border flash when a BELL character is
received: a VisiBell, as it were.

	2) Use CHIRP to replace the standard Apple BELL.  I've used
this tiny binary for about six months now, specifically because it
fixes Kermit's line-killing Bell problem.  Of course, the author's
name escapes me at the moment: I believe I picked it up on one of
those other $ervice$.  I could email you a copy, or post it to
comp.binaries.apple if interest warrants.

--
|  Ralph P Carpenter      | InterNet: Ralpho@acc.fau.edu     | Blake's 7:  |
|  Sr Programmer/Analyst  |           CarpentR@SerVax.Bitnet |   The       |

nparker@CIE.UOREGON.EDU (07/24/90)

In article <1013@kluge.fiu.edu>, carpentr@serss0.fiu.edu (Ralph P
Carpenter) writes:
>[...stuff about Kermit and the GS's control-G...]
>	My solution(s): 1) turn the sound OFF from the Control Panel;
>this will make the screen border flash when a BELL character is
>received: a VisiBell, as it were.

Unfortunately, this requires booting GSOS...much too slow a process if
you're just running a ProDOS-8 program...

>	2) Use CHIRP to replace the standard Apple BELL.  I've used
>this tiny binary for about six months now, specifically because it
>fixes Kermit's line-killing Bell problem.  Of course, the author's
>name escapes me at the moment: I believe I picked it up on one of
>those other $ervice$.  I could email you a copy, or post it to
>comp.binaries.apple if interest warrants.

Bizarre...CHIRP was only written about three months ago...this could only
mean...time travel has been discovered!  Quick!  CALL THE NATIONAL
ENQUIRER!!!  :-) :-) :-)

Seriously...CHIRP is available from the BROWNVM archives as file
APPLE2-L 90-01605.  It's also available from the author (that's me) by
sending E-mail to parker@corona.uoregon.edu or parkern@jacobs.cs.orst.edu.

>|  Ralph P Carpenter      | InterNet: Ralpho@acc.fau.edu     | Blake's 7:  |
>|  Sr Programmer/Analyst  |           CarpentR@SerVax.Bitnet |   The       |
>|  Florida Atlantic Univ  | Ci$: 74015,644     GEnie: Ralpho |  Motion     |
>|     at Boca Raton       | SoBell: 407/367-2616             |  Picture    |
--
Neil Parker               parker@astro.uoregon.edu
nparker@cie.uoregon.edu   parkern@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (07/25/90)

nparker@CIE.UOREGON.EDU writes:

>In article <1013@kluge.fiu.edu>, carpentr@serss0.fiu.edu (Ralph P
>Carpenter) writes:
>>[...stuff about Kermit and the GS's control-G...]
>>	My solution(s): 1) turn the sound OFF from the Control Panel;
>>this will make the screen border flash when a BELL character is
>>received: a VisiBell, as it were.

>Unfortunately, this requires booting GSOS...much too slow a process if
>you're just running a ProDOS-8 program...

Wrong! He's talking about the Classic Control Panel, the one you can enter from
the CDA menu. Type Control-Option-Esc (or is it Control-OpenApple-Esc? I have
the reflex down so well I can't remember which, I just do it).

Todd Whitesel
tddow @ tybalt.caltech.edu

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (07/25/90)

>>>My [who??] solution(s): 1) turn the sound OFF from the Control Panel;
>>>this will make the screen border flash when a BELL character is
>>>received: a VisiBell, as it were.

(Ralph Carpenter says)
>>Unfortunately, this requires booting GSOS...much too slow a process if
>>you're just running a ProDOS-8 program...

(Todd Whitesel says)
>Wrong! He's talking about the Classic Control Panel, the one you can enter from
>the CDA menu. Type Control-Option-Esc (or is it Control-OpenApple-Esc? I have
>the reflex down so well I can't remember which, I just do it).

Sure, you can turn the sound off from the CDA control panel, no problem.
If you have a ROM 03 machine, the border will blink for bells.  (I'm not
sure if you lose any characters during the border blink or not!  Give it
a try.)

If you have  ROM 01 machine, the border will blink only if you have booted
recent system software (or have otherwise installed a "VisiBell" CDA or
something, which you could probably do with P8CDA).
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

carpentr@serss0.fiu.edu (Ralph P Carpenter) (07/25/90)

In article <43319@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) writes:

>(Ralph Carpenter says)
>>>Unfortunately, this requires booting GSOS...much too slow a process if
>>>you're just running a ProDOS-8 program...

	Attribution Fault Detected.

	/I/ suggested the "sound off" solution, to which /Neil Parker/
replied that this required booting GS/OS to work.

	That aside: I thought that Mr. Parker was mistaken in his
assertion, so I booted my Rom01 with ProDOS-8, and turned off the
sound, via the Control Panel CDA.

	To my great surprise & foot-in-mouth-ment, under (just)
ProDOS-8 on my Rom01, this did NOT produce a border flash, just no
sound, and Kermit still lost characters on BELL intercepts. :-( I've
never noticed this before, since I've not booted my GS on pure ProDOS
since before System Software 4.0.  Mr. Parker is correct, though
apparently the border-flash will work on a ProDOS'd Rom03 (per Mr.
Lyons), and it /does/ work on a GS/OS'd Rom01.

	Mr. Parker also mentions that booting GS/OS just to run a
8-bit program is "too slow".  True enough if that's ALL one's going to
do, but I boot my machine each morning at 8:30am and (barring a cr*sh
or two, knock wood) keep it on until 5pm running multitudinous
16-bitters, with only an odd foray into Kermit and its fellow eights.
GS/OS is therefore my normal working environment.  System Software
5.0.2, TransWarpGS & DMA-SCSI make it a mighty pleasant environment,
too, I might add. :-)

	(And sorry, Neil, but I already sold exclusive rights to my
story to ...  Time magazine.  :-) :-) :-) )