[comp.sys.apple2] Expressload Question

shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (07/25/90)

I find that when I boot my IIgs, if I hold the OPTION & OA keys down, when
the thermometer get to the "L" in the "Welcome to the IIgs" message, the
ExpressLoad message appears.  What exactly does this do.  The system
doesn;t appear to be booting any faster, though I haven't really timed it
to see if there is a difference.

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com|
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: islnds::shatara            |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!islnds!shatara  |

jonah@amos.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (07/25/90)

In article <1790@mountn.dec.com> shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>I find that when I boot my IIgs, if I hold the OPTION & OA keys down, when
>the thermometer get to the "L" in the "Welcome to the IIgs" message, the
>ExpressLoad message appears.  What exactly does this do.  The system
>doesn;t appear to be booting any faster, though I haven't really timed it
>to see if there is a difference.
>
>|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com|
I've heard that this doesn't do anything--it's just a little logo to tell you
it's there. There's some way to make it ALWAYS appear (without you having to
hold down OA & Option) that has something to do with setting the auxType
of one of the system files to the hex values for RT, or something like that.
You can also you this to make the text startup screen always appear. I'm sure
someone will post saying which file it is you have to play with....

Jonah
jonah@amos.ucsd.edu

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (07/26/90)

In article <1790@mountn.dec.com> shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>I find that when I boot my IIgs, if I hold the OPTION & OA keys down, when
>the thermometer get to the "L" in the "Welcome to the IIgs" message, the
>ExpressLoad message appears.  What exactly does this do.  The system
>doesn;t appear to be booting any faster, though I haven't really timed it
>to see if there is a difference.

It doesn't matter whether you get the ExpressLoad message or not...if you
have the file *:System:ExpressLoad on your boot disk and have more than
512K of RAM in your system, ExpressLoad is already being used.

If you change the auxiliary type of ExpressLoad to $5254, you'll always
get the message when it's loaded.  If you change the auxiliary type of
START.GS.OS to $5254, I believe you get the text screen with version
numbers automatically, without having to hit a key at the beginning of
the boot.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/27/90)

If you have the EXPRESSLOAD file in your system directory, it will always be
loaded (if you have more than 512K, I believe) and it is always there.  It
loads files that are saved in expressload format MUCH fast (The difference in
AWGS is amazing).                                     ^^^^ faster.

As far as I know, the OA-SA when you boot just lets you know that expressload
has been found and loaded...

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com