[comp.sys.apple2] New IBM Threat

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (07/22/90)

Up until now, I haven't been giving all that much thought to the
Rom04 GS rumors, mostly because I have been disaointed before.

Now, though, I hope and pray something comes out in the Fall, because
IBM has announced the PS/1 line, based upon a fast '286 and sells for
between 1 and 2 grand complete. It doesn't have a serial port (from
what I read in PC magazine) but does come with a built-in modem. This
machine was specifically designed for the "home market" and comes with
an easy to use, mouse-based interface under VGA graphics.

This is the closest thing yet to a machine in direct competition with
the Apple //GS, product-description wise and market-wise. And the GS
can't compete with this thing at its current configuration. We've been
loyal to our machine, both to its and our credit. But now the gavel
falls on Apple's neglect. If something doesn't happen soon, IBM will
swamp the market with these things, just like they did with the
original PC.

You guys at Apple, I am concerned and worried. Any comments, no matter
how cryptic, would be appreciated.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U. |               |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

declan@portia.Stanford.edu (07/23/90)

Jeremy Mereness writes...

>Now, though, I hope and pray something comes out in the Fall, because
>IBM has announced the PS/1 line, based upon a fast '286 and sells for
>between 1 and 2 grand complete. It doesn't have a serial port (from
>what I read in PC magazine) but does come with a built-in modem. This
>machine was specifically designed for the "home market" and comes with
>an easy to use, mouse-based interface under VGA graphics.

From a quick glace at the latest Byte, I noticed that you can build a
complete 12 MHz IBM AT clone system with VGA, a 1.2 MB floppy, a parallel
port, a serial port, a 2400 bps modem, and 1 MB RAM for $1,225.  Add
a few dollars for Windows 3.0.

I don't think that IBM's pricing is revolutionary; far from it.  Perhaps
IBM's name will add some value to its product, but the PS/1 line may very
well be viewed as overpriced and (even worse) a followup to the PCjr.

>This is the closest thing yet to a machine in direct competition with
>the Apple //GS, product-description wise and market-wise. And the GS
>can't compete with this thing at its current configuration. We've been
>loyal to our machine, both to its and our credit. But now the gavel
>falls on Apple's neglect. If something doesn't happen soon, IBM will
>swamp the market with these things, just like they did with the
>original PC.

IBM's product isn't anything new - all the PS/1 line may do is add a bit
of legitimacy to the activites of cheap clone-making.

I agree with some of your observations, but not with your conclusions.  IBM has
little chance to "swamp the market" with low cost computers because the
situtation has changed dramatically between the time of the original IBM
PC and now.  Almost a decade ago, few people had computers, and computers
were far from being the legitimate business they are today.  Now, they
the MS-DOS world is quite mainstream, and people (home or business) are
quite unlikely to throw away their existing computers to purchase what
amounts to antiquated technology - a 80286 system is not leading-edge,
no matter what IBM would have you believe.

However, the IIgs is sorely in need of a hardware upgrade incorporating
higher speed and better resolution.  I'm sure most of us agree on that.
I wonder what percentage the profits from the Apple II line go to Macintosh
hardware and software development...  Perhaps none, since the Macintosh is
quite profitable by itself - but I can't help but wonder.

>You guys at Apple, I am concerned and worried. Any comments, no matter
>how cryptic, would be appreciated.

Do you expect them to say something on USENET?  The most rumor-laden
place on earth?  But wouldn't it be nice if Apple Corporate did announce
something officially?

-Declan

Olympic Technologies / Registered NeXT Developers \ declan@portia.stanford.edu

bmarlowe@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Brett Marlowe) (07/25/90)

In <0aeR7uK00VQp084=UH@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) writes:

>Up until now, I haven't been giving all that much thought to the
>Rom04 GS rumors, mostly because I have been disaointed before.

>Now, though, I hope and pray something comes out in the Fall, because
>IBM has announced the PS/1 line, based upon a fast '286 and sells for
>between 1 and 2 grand complete. It doesn't have a serial port (from
>what I read in PC magazine) but does come with a built-in modem. This
>machine was specifically designed for the "home market" and comes with
>an easy to use, mouse-based interface under VGA graphics.

	From what I've heard the machine has some serious deficiencies:

	There are three expansion slots all of which are already used
        by a disk controller, the modem, and something else (it
        escapes me).

	The machine has 512K of RAM for which there is no immediate
        method for expansion.

	The processor is a 10MHz 80286

        It DOES have full VGA graphics (1024 x 768)

	It costs $2000 list price.

	The biggest gotcha though is the power supply for the computer
	is built into the *monitor*

>This is the closest thing yet to a machine in direct competition with
>the Apple //GS, product-description wise and market-wise. And the GS
>can't compete with this thing at its current configuration. We've been
>loyal to our machine, both to its and our credit. But now the gavel
>falls on Apple's neglect. If something doesn't happen soon, IBM will
>swamp the market with these things, just like they did with the
>original PC.

	The big question is why buy a computer that locks you in to
IBM hardware when for less than $1000 you can buy a full blown AT
clone?

	With IBMs past record in the home market I'm not worried yet,
but that is no excuse for you guys at Apple to shelve any upgrades for
the IIGS :-)

>You guys at Apple, I am concerned and worried. Any comments, no matter
>how cryptic, would be appreciated.

>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>|Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
>|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent my|
>|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.      |
>|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U. |               |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

	Everything I heard today was second from someone I work with who is very up on the IBM market and he was unimpressed to say the least.
Brett Marlowe          bmarlowe@bonnie.ics.uci.edu     Apple // Forever!!
A senior in mathematics and Information & Computer Science at the University
of California, Irvine. I said it, so I'm responsible for it not them! So There!

pmcd@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) (07/25/90)

In article <26AD3B56.18704@ics.uci.edu> bmarlowe@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Brett Marlowe) writes:
>	From what I've heard the machine has some serious deficiencies:
>
>	There are three expansion slots all of which are already used
>        by a disk controller, the modem, and something else (it
>        escapes me).

There is a slot for a sound/midi board(4 voice sound).

>	The machine has 512K of RAM for which there is no immediate
>        method for expansion.

Not true. Memory expansion is available via a type of "credit card". IBM
currently only has the .5 meg type, but larger capacity cards will be
available(they already are for laptops).

>	The biggest gotcha though is the power supply for the computer
>	is built into the *monitor*

Actually this makes for very quiet operation. No fan needed.

>	The big question is why buy a computer that locks you in to
>IBM hardware when for less than $1000 you can buy a full blown AT
>clone?

Because the computer won't cost $2000 on the street or in schools and
IBM will provide at home service. Not everyone is a hacker, and willing
to trust the $1000(not colour) clone which could end up costing you
more than $1000 in wasted time due to hassles. A more serious threat is
the Tandy 2500XL and its 386sx version. These also have sound, larger
drives,VGA, and a very nice small footprint. DOS is in ROM, and they
currently supply Deskmate in ROM, but you can imagine what that will be
replaced by.

>	With IBMs past record in the home market I'm not worried yet,
>but that is no excuse for you guys at Apple to shelve any upgrades for
>the IIGS :-)

I agree with you about the upgrade issue. But I would be very worried
about the IBM move. This is only the beginning for them.

We need a ROM04, HyperCard and a low price.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu[down for 2 days]
[my opinions of course]

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (07/27/90)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.apple2: 25-Jul-90 Re: New IBM Threat Phil
McDunnough@yunexus. (1885)

> A more serious threat is
> the Tandy 2500XL and its 386sx version. These also have sound, larger
> drives,VGA, and a very nice small footprint. DOS is in ROM, and they
> currently supply Deskmate in ROM, but you can imagine what that will be
> replaced by.
> >
> >	With IBMs past record in the home market I'm not worried yet,
> >but that is no excuse for you guys at Apple to shelve any upgrades for
> >the IIGS :-)

> I agree with you about the upgrade issue. But I would be very worried
> about the IBM move. This is only the beginning for them.

The problem is not in the home market per se. It is in the institutions
that influence the home. Small businesses, all sorts of schools,
universities, will all begin supporting the things and universities may
begin asking students to buy them. Corporations are partial to IBM
because they know IBM can ship and support large accounts.

THEN people will start buying them at home. IBM seems to be getting
serious, both with their new Unix platform and PC's.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/27/90)

> I agree with you about the upgrade issue. But I would be very worried
> about the IBM move. This is only the beginning for them.

Yeah, there's an article in InfoWorld, about hopw IBM has always been a leader
in _spite_ of their products, but they are now coming around.  Scary.

And someone showed me his SoftDisk GS (I think that's the name).  He showed me
part of an editorial that said that the staffers are checking out IBM clones,
just in case. And there was a comment something to the effect that "Funny how
a few months ago, IBM was the enemy and Apple was our friend, and now the
roles have reversed."  Not an exact quote, but pretty damn close.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com