[comp.sys.apple2] Retro Computing, A/D and MIDI

johnk@loki.atmos.ColoState.EDU (John Kleist) (07/25/90)

I recently (re)acquired an Apple ][+.  My intent was to build a camera
shutter tester for a friend who is a camera repairman.  A photodiode and a
transistor were connected to the game port.  A little assembly for the
timing loop (I love Big Mac) and some Applesoft for the rest. WOW! It works!

I find that hacking on the Apple is FUN.  Much more fun than banging away
on a unix workstation or playing with my Amiga.  This sort of fun is what
originally attracted me to computing.  Although GUI's, high level languages,
and multitasking operating systems are wonderful things, they impede joyous
hacking.  Why type in pages of code when all you want to do is sample the
high order bit at location $C062?

I am now considering using it as a MIDI device.  This would involve adding
several A/D channels to set contoller values, building or buying a MIDI
interface and possibly speeding up the CPU to handle contoller messages.
I have several questions:

1) Has anyone built a A/D device for their Apple?  I need 8 or 16 channels
of 8-bit conversion at a moderate sampling rate, <1 khz.  What chips are
easy interface to a 6522 VIA?

2) Which of the MIDI interfaces will work with my Apple ][+?  Are these easy
to build?  Do the commercial ones buffer incoming MIDI messages?  Is MIDI
interface programming similar to serial port programming?

3) Do these ZIP chip things really work?  What is the REAL speed up factor
on REAL programs, say a BASIC program?  Do they somehow speed up memory
access time as well as CPU cycles?

John Kleist     johnk@loki.atmos.colostate.edu

chm114u@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (07/27/90)

In article <8088@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, johnk@loki.atmos.ColoState.EDU (John Kleist) writes:
> I recently (re)acquired an Apple ][+.  My intent was to build a camera
>     [some interesting stuff deleted]
> I am now considering using it as a MIDI device.  This would involve adding
>     [more interesting stuff deleted]
> 1) Has anyone built a A/D device for their Apple?  I need 8 or 16 channels
> of 8-bit conversion at a moderate sampling rate, <1 khz.  What chips are
> easy interface to a 6522 VIA?

       Well, I've used an ADC0809, 8 channels, 8 bits, your programming
       will probably be the sampling time limit. A 6522 VIA and about
       seven 74series ttl logic chips and a handful or so of capacitors
       should round out the device. There are other adcs around that will
       (make that should) work just as well.

> 2) Which of the MIDI interfaces will work with my Apple ][+?  Are these easy
> to build?  Do the commercial ones buffer incoming MIDI messages?  Is MIDI
> interface programming similar to serial port programming?

       I haven't the foggiest notion!

> 3) Do these ZIP chip things really work?  What is the REAL speed up factor
> on REAL programs, say a BASIC program?  Do they somehow speed up memory
> access time as well as CPU cycles?

       I really liked my zip chip (when it finally arrived) but my GS arrived
       two weeks later.

> John Kleist     johnk@loki.atmos.colostate.edu

        Mike.