[comp.sys.apple2] Unidisk 3.5 bug

X17914@BBRBFU01.BITNET (07/27/90)

This has been asked before I`m sure.
But... I still need to know.
So, When I run the BASIC "scsi formatter" program, (remember ?)
it searches all SmartPort devices and finds my Unidisk 3.5, afeter asking
for a write-protected disk, the program reports to me:
"This SmartPort has the UniDisk 3.5 Write Protect Bug"
"never put a write protected disk in this SmartPort again."

I want to know:
-Is there really a bug, or is it the program ?
-What is this bug, what does it do ?
-Does it eat disks for breakfast ? (directories , blocks, ....)
-Can I upgrade ? (I can program eprom's)
-Can one find a good one by looking at the serial numbers ?

Thanks.

Robert Jansen
  Local Unix and LAN guru (manager ..etc.. etc...)
    of the Brussels Free University.
  Belgium
    Europe

private mail to:
BITNET: X17914@BBRBFU01

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (07/28/90)

In article <9007271207.AA24138@apple.com> X17914@BBRBFU01.BITNET writes:
>This has been asked before I`m sure.
>But... I still need to know.
>So, When I run the BASIC "scsi formatter" program, (remember ?)
>it searches all SmartPort devices and finds my Unidisk 3.5, afeter asking
>for a write-protected disk, the program reports to me:
>"This SmartPort has the UniDisk 3.5 Write Protect Bug"
>"never put a write protected disk in this SmartPort again."
>[...]-Is there really a bug, or is it the program ?

See UniDisk Technical Note #3, revised 11/88 (originally written 9/84)
for details.

The warning "never put a write-protected disk in again" is probably a
little strong.  The problem only occurs when an application under ProDOS
tries to write -less- than 512 bytes of data to an existing file.  It
becomes impossible for the application to finish the write or to even
close the file.  You'll probably wind up having to reboot before you can
do anything further with the application.

But it won't eat your disk (it can't, it's write protected!).

As far as I know, the "UniDisk interface card" ROM was never revised to
correct this.  If you have a IIgs, no problem.  If you have a IIc other
than the -first- revision that supported UniDisks, you have no problem.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.