[comp.sys.apple2] FST feasability

ccastbs@prism.gatech.EDU (Shannon Bell) (07/27/90)

I was mulling over FST pros and cons, and it occurred to me: the major
problem with an FST is that it has to be worked into the entire system
because it probably needs a slightly different interface than any other FST.
(I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. At least, I hope so.)
Would it be possible to crate an FST with exactly the same interface as one
already available (Prodos, I guess) but with some of the limitations removed?
GS/OS would make the same calls as it would to Prodos, and get the same info
back, but the actual device could hold >32 Meg, possibly handle more than
two volumes on a slot (though I have a hunch this would be considerably
tougher), etc. Is this a feasable idea?

Shannon Bell    ccastbs@prism.gatech.edu

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (07/28/90)

In article <11886@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastbs@prism.gatech.EDU (Shannon Bell) writes:
>I was mulling over FST pros and cons, and it occurred to me: the major
>problem with an FST is that it has to be worked into the entire system
>because it probably needs a slightly different interface than any other FST.

I believe the problem is more that the interface between FSTs and the OS
is not *stable* to anywhere near the degree the Device Driver interface is.

Currently, whenever a new GS/OS call is added, or whenever an existing
call is modified to allow more parameters, all FSTs have to be modified
correspondingly.

>Would it be possible to crate an FST with exactly the same interface as one
>already available (Prodos, I guess) but with some of the limitations removed?

They *do* all have the same interface (except for extra FSTSpecific subcalls,
of course).

Besides the ProDOS FST, there are *currently* (in System Software 5.0.2):

 --AppleShare FST, for accessing file server volumes on an AppleTalk
   network (allows up to 14 server volumes, and the volumes can be huge)

 --ISO 9660 / High Sierra FST, primarily for accessing CD-ROM disks,
   but it also works for floppies if you happen to have an ISO/HS
   floppy lying around.  This is a read-only FST.

 --Character FST, for accessing character devices (console driver, serial
   ports, etc).

>GS/OS would make the same calls as it would to Prodos, and get the same info
>back, but the actual device could hold >32 Meg, possibly handle more than
>two volumes on a slot (though I have a hunch this would be considerably
>tougher), etc. Is this a feasable idea?

Having more than 2 devices per slot is NO PROBLEM for GS/OS!  I have a
80-meg hard drive sitting here on my desk, attached to my GS SCSI card.
3 partitions on the HD, several more if I stick in a CD-ROM disk into
the CD-ROM drive, and they all show up.

--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.