[comp.sys.apple2] More Memory = Dead GS.

JWANKERL%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU ("Josef W. Wankerl") (07/27/90)

My system setup:

  RamKeeper - Fully populated Apple 1Meg ram card on the back pocket (tm)
              GSRam+ connected via the male-to-male connecter.

My problem:

   I used to have 2 Meg on my GSRam+ and I set the RamKeeper to have a
1 Meg ROM disk.  That left 2 meg for main memory.  I got a few extra bucks
and decided to upgrade my system... so I bought 3 more meg.  I figured that
I could have 4 meg main memory (remaining DMA compatible, eh?) and have a
2 meg ROM disk.  So I plug in the chips... and my system doesn't work.  That's
about the best way to describe it, too.

I called up AE and asked for help... they told me to send in my card and
they'd take a look at it.  Yeah, right... like I'm really gunna work with a
256K machine for a year while the idiots sit it on a shelf and then send it
back unchanged telling me they found nothing wrong with it.

Now here's the fun part - I set my ROM disk to 3 meg... and my system will
boot and behave normally... except that the ROM disk checksum doesn't match.
I try copying things to the ROM disk and I get weird GS/OS errors like $8000
and $8052 and such.

Thinking that I might have bad chips or something, I ran the GSRam+ memory
test program.  No errors.  In fact, the system works fine without the
RamKeeper in and I just use the Ram+.

So... any help from you guys?

--
===> Josef W. Wankerl, college student | "I am a Viking"  -Y. Malmsteen
 ProLine:  jwankerl@pro-gsplus         | BITNET:  JWANKERL@UTCVM

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (07/28/90)

In article <9007261905.AA09797@apple.com> JWANKERL%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU ("Josef W. Wankerl") writes:

[problems w/ RamKeeper deleted]

>Now here's the fun part - I set my ROM disk to 3 meg... and my system will
>boot and behave normally... except that the ROM disk checksum doesn't match.
>I try copying things to the ROM disk and I get weird GS/OS errors like $8000
>and $8052 and such.

I just recently added a RamKeeper and a 2 MB Apricorn card to my system.
I was getting errors $8000 and $8051 when I tried to access anything
beyond the first 60% of /AEROM.  Just on a hunch, I tried switching
the cards around (AST RamStakPlus now on the SlotMover; Apricorn on the
back side) and everything's been working great since then.

Henry

>===> Josef W. Wankerl, college student | "I am a Viking"  -Y. Malmsteen
> ProLine:  jwankerl@pro-gsplus         | BITNET:  JWANKERL@UTCVM
>InterNet:  jwankerl@pro-gsplus.cts.com | UUCP:  ...crash!pro-gsplus!jwankerl
>ARPA/DDN:  ...crash!pro-gsplus!jwankerl@nosc.mil | I'm employed by EGO, GS+!

---