[comp.sys.apple2] scsi disk partitioning

max@maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) (07/28/90)

i am planning on partitioning a 760M Maxtor SCSI hard disk this weekend
and would appreciate any info on optimal partitioning.  Is it true that
prodos-8 can only see the first 4 partitions and which utilities do i
use, thise from 5.0.2 tools or the High-speed SCSI utilities, which are
only prodos-8.  Will I be able to use all 760M?  Do i have to make each
paritition 32M or is this only a prodos-8 limitation?
Thanx in advance...
--
Max Heffler			internet: max@lgc.com
Landmark Graphics Corp.		uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (07/28/90)

In article <1990Jul27.193657.3376@lgc.com> max@maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) writes:
>i am planning on partitioning a 760M Maxtor SCSI hard disk this weekend
>and would appreciate any info on optimal partitioning.  Is it true that
>prodos-8 can only see the first 4 partitions and which utilities do i
>use, thise from 5.0.2 tools or the High-speed SCSI utilities, which are
>only prodos-8.  Will I be able to use all 760M?  Do i have to make each
>paritition 32M or is this only a prodos-8 limitation?
>Thanx in advance...

The Advanced Disk Utility will be happy to let you create partitions
larger than 32 Megs, but when you initialize them into volumes, each
ProDOS volume will use only the first 32 Megs of its partition.

The SCSI Manager will let you have up to 63 total SCSI partitions without
difficulty (except maybe the problem of where to put them all on the
Finder desktop, etc).

But that's okay...you should only need 24 anyway. :-)

Yes, ProDOS 8 will be able to see only the first four partitions if you
put the SCSI card in slot 5, and only the first TWO if you put the card
in a non-five slot.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

nick@tanus.oz.au (Nick Giapitzakis) (07/28/90)

Tell me if you manage to access the whole 760meg,..thanks.

from       Nick

Down Under

UUCP: {munnari, nosc!crash}!jabaru!tanus!nick
ARPA: crash!jabaru!tanus!nick@nosc.mil
INET: nick@tanus.oz.au