[net.space] Results of delivering mail

m.postman@UCLA-Security@sri-unix (12/02/82)

From: m.postman at UCLA-Security (UCLA-LOCUS Mail Handler)
===== POSTMAN output follows =====
Date: 02 Dec 1982 0302-PST
From: Ted Anderson <OTA at S1-A>
Subject: SPACE Digest V3 #62
To: SPACE@MIT-MC

SPACE Digest                                      Volume 3 : Issue 62

Today's Topics:
		       Space Recreation & Politics
			   Rockwell Settlement
		      Challenger Moved to Launch Pad
				Lost Glove
		     Dave Bowman's Space Walk, et al.
		 Re: Rockwell Settles out of Court - (nf)
		      How to fund the space program
			      It's the Arts
			       Space Suits

Date: 1 December 1982 06:25-EST
From: Robert Elton Maas <REM at MIT-MC>
Subject: Space Recreation & Politics
To: harpo!seismo!rocheste!bukys at UCB-C70
cc: SPACE at MIT-MC

I think I agree with you. Although perhaps NASA should fund some
getaway special where a small explosion in zero-gee vacuum is filmed
to give us the basic idea how much different those special effects
will be from ones filmed on Earth, movie studies should pay their own
way when making special-effects for movies en masse in space. But NASA
should permit that kind of use before they permit random people just
wasting shuttle time for a vacation flight that won't return even a
bunch of exposed movie film.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Nov 82 16:58:49-PST (Tue)
To: space at Mit-Mc
From: decvax!genradbo!mitccc!jmturn at Ucb-C70
Subject: Rockwell Settlement
Via:  Usenet; 1 Dec 82 4:33-PST

$1.5 what? Million? Billion? (I suspect million, but who knows?)
					James

------------------------------

Date: 30 Nov 82 15:20:31-PST (Tue)
To: space at Mit-Mc
From: harpo!eagle!mhtsa!alice!sjb at Ucb-C70
Subject: Challenger Moved to Launch Pad
Via:  Usenet; 1 Dec 82 7:02-PST

The Challenger was today rolled to launch pad 39A in preparations
for STS-6, now set to launch on 24 January, 1983.  The six hour
rollout, which began at 0419 EST, was completed without a hitch.
The next major task in the pre-launch preparations will be a
20-second test firing of the Challenger's main engines, now
set for 20 December.

------------------------------

Date:  1 December 1982 13:52 est
From:  Boebert.SCOMP at MIT-MULTICS
Subject:  Lost Glove
To:  Space at MIT-MC

I'm glad my note sparked some comments; I do want to clarify/reiterate
that I wasn't asserting the truth of the barehanded spacewalk, I was
simply reporting what I heard at a briefing at Houston.  I was a 2LT at
the time, and the briefer was an LCol, and under those circumstances you
don't (or didn't, at the time) jump up and say "That's impossible!"  I
still would like to know exactly what happened.  If somebody is certain
it was Ed White and somebody else has an address I would like to write
him and ask.

Earl

------------------------------

Date:  1 Dec 1982 1357-EST
From: PDL at MIT-XX (P. David Lebling)
Subject: Dave Bowman's Space Walk, et al.
To: Space-Enthusiasts at MIT-MC

This is summarized from the "Bioastronautics Data Book" (2nd Edition), a
NASA publication.  It refers to several animal studies which show a
similar response in several species to decompression to near-vacuum
conditions (1-2mm Hg). It then says, extrapolating those results to
humans:

	"Some degree of consciousness will probably be retained for 9 to
	11 seconds. In rapid sequence thereafter, paralysis will be
	followed by generalized convulsions and paralysis once again.
	During this time, water vapor will form rapidly in the soft
	tissues and somewhat less rapidly in the venous blood. This
	evolution of vapor will cause marked swelling of the body to
	perhaps as much as twice its normal volume unless it is
	restrained by a pressure suit. (It has been demonstated that a
	properly fitted elastic garment can entirely prevent ebullism at
	pressures as low as 15mm Hg absolute). ... Venous pressure will
	meet or exceed arterial pressure within 1 minute. There will be
	virtually no effective circulation of the blood."

	"...survival was the rule if recompression occurred within about
	90 seconds."

	"...some animals have died within seconds of decompression and a
	few others have had severe, lasting central nervous system
	damage."

The qualifier "some" is not too encouraging, but I'd call it possible if
unlikely.

Note also the remark about preventing ebullism (vaporization of body
fluids) with an "elastic garment".  It looks like the non-bulky spacesuit
has been tried and works, but only to a point.

	Dave
-------

------------------------------

Date: 30 Nov 82 16:59:02-PST (Tue)
To: space at Mit-Mc
From: harpo!zeppo!Anonymous at Ucb-C70
Subject: Re: Rockwell Settles out of Court - (nf)
Via:  Usenet; 1 Dec 82 18:31-PST

#R:alice:-121600:zeppo:6300001:000:14
zeppo!Anonymous    Nov 30 16:45:00 1982

how much?????

------------------------------

Date: 2 December 1982 01:05-EST
From: Jacob Moskowitz <JMSK at MIT-MC>
Subject:  How to fund the space program
To: decvax!utzoo!watmath!bstempleton at UCB-C70
cc: SPACE at MIT-MC

 ...Have you ever considered not just how many people support the space program
    but just exactly who they are?  It seems to me they are all pretty powerful
    people.  If we wanted to, and were firm enough in our convictions, a strike
    by supporters of the space program could shut down the entire country
    completely...

A very interesting suggestion. But assuming most space nuts are R&D/Engineering
types, what about the familiar problem of strikes by such workers, whose
contributions and hence economic effects may not be felt for months or even
years ?

------------------------------

Date: 30 Nov 82 11:29:37-PST (Tue)
To: space at Mit-Mc
From: decvax!utzoo!kcarroll at Ucb-C70
Subject: It's the Arts
Via:  Usenet; 1 Dec 82 22:48-PST

   It will come as a surprise to some, but NASA has long demonstrated
an appreciation of the arts. Certainly during the 60's,
they went to a fair amount of trouble to introduce various
painters and graphic artists to all aspects of the space program,
on the principle that history was being made, and that it would be
nice to have artists there to record it for posterity.
I've seen a number of the paintings that were produced at the time,
including one by Norman Rockwell (i think) of Gus Grissom (I think)
suiting up. Unfortunately, I can't remember just >where< I saw
these paintings; some, however, ought to be in a book titled
"The National Air and Space Museum", a marvelous picture-book
tour through that museum.
   I'm not sure what the current state of NASA's art program
is; however, rumour has it that they are considering reserving a
berth on a future shuttle flight for an artist of some sort,
for the same reason as before. Fact has it that Jeanette Robinson,
the wife of SF writer Spider Robinson, is actively seeking  to fill that
berth. She dances professionally, and co-wrote a novel (Stardance)
which described dancing in zero-g; she plans to see what sort of
a dance she coold do in the shuttle's cargo bay. At the moment,
she's looking around for a cheap supplier of pressure-suits
(although the pressureless space-suit that's been discussed
for the last couple of weeks would surely be more appropriate
for dancing (once it's developed) than the standard NASA-issue suit...)

-Kieran A. Carroll

------------------------------

Date: 1 Dec 82 7:32:52-PST (Wed)
To: space at Mit-Mc
From: harpo!eagle!mhtsa!alice!sjb at Ucb-C70
Subject: Space Suits
Via:  Usenet; 2 Dec 82 0:02-PST

Technicians have found what they are calling a tentative reason
for the failure of the two space suits aboard STS-5.

Apparently, in Bill Lenoir's suit, a pressure regulator broke
down because a few pieces of plastic that are supposed to keep
tension on springs were never installed.  They termed this due
to a lack of quality control.

In William Allen's suit, a fan broke down because of a ''fluke
mechanical failure.''

End of SPACE Digest