[comp.sys.apple2] Unidisk 3.5" boot from a ][+

frankl@xrtll.uucp (Frank Lemire) (07/28/90)

  I have a (real) Apple Unidisk 3.5, and I also have the unidisk controller
card. now my problem is, that no matter where I put my two drive controller
cards (I have two 5.25s) my ][+ ALWAYS boots from the 5.25.

  I've fixed this for the time being just by formatting the 5.25" with a
DOS 3.3 disk and just having the hello program boot slot #5 (my 3.5)

  Can anyone suggest what I could do to fix this problem and have my ][+
boot the 3.5 first?

thanks!
zippo@contact.uucp   -- or --  frankl@xrtll.uucp
         !uunet.uu.net!contact!zippo
--
._o        --  Frank Lemire [zippo] --     zippo@contact.uucp [PREF]
  4        ---------------------------  !uunet.uu.net!contact!zippo

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (07/30/90)

In article <1990Jul28.065320.8921@xrtll.uucp> frankl@xrtll.uucp (Frank Lemire) writes:
>I have a (real) Apple Unidisk 3.5, and I also have the unidisk controller
>card. now my problem is, that no matter where I put my two drive controller
>cards (I have two 5.25s) my ][+ ALWAYS boots from the 5.25.
>
>I've fixed this for the time being just by formatting the 5.25" with a
>DOS 3.3 disk and just having the hello program boot slot #5 (my 3.5)
>
>Can anyone suggest what I could do to fix this problem and have my ][+
>boot the 3.5 first?

Your solution sounds pretty reasonable already.  Short of re-burining
your II+ monitor ROM, I don't have a better answer.

There is a reason machines before the enhanced IIe don't automatically
boot from SmartPort devices--I don't remember the details right now, but
it's in a ProDOS 8 Technical Note or Apple II Miscellaneous TN somewhere.

I believe it had to do with Apple II UCSD Pascal getting confused, thinking
anything that looked just like a bootable 5.25 controller card must
actually *be* one, so one of the ID bytes on the UniDisk card is different.
ROMs in the enhanced IIe and later no longer check that last ID byte.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.