[comp.sys.apple2] Slot assistance with new boards...

max@maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) (07/27/90)

Last night I received my Apple High Speed SCSI card.  Next week I will
be receiving my Transwarp GS and an Echo 2 speech card.  How do I handle
the slots.  If I put the SCSI card in slot 5, will my 5 1/4 and 3 1/2
be bootable with control panel on "your card" or do i have to flip back
and forth.  Which slots should I put these three boards, considering
printer in 1, modem in 2, etc.  Do I have to time share slots?
Thanx in advance...
--
Max Heffler			internet: max@lgc.com
Landmark Graphics Corp.		uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (07/28/90)

In article <1990Jul27.133121.1398@lgc.com> max@maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) writes:
>Last night I received my Apple High Speed SCSI card.  Next week I will
>be receiving my Transwarp GS and an Echo 2 speech card.  How do I handle
>the slots.  If I put the SCSI card in slot 5, will my 5 1/4 and 3 1/2
>be bootable with control panel on "your card" or do i have to flip back
>and forth.

How about putting the SCSI in 7 and the TWGS in 3?  The TWGS does not
interfere with the normal use of slot 3 or 4 (80-column or Mouse), but
you can't have SCSI in 5 and still use the 3.5 drives.  (At least not
with current system software--if GS/OS slot arbitration ever becomes a
reality, then you could.)
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

jschober@gnh-starport.cts.com (Joey Schober) (07/30/90)

Ummm, my silly question of the week: Speaking of GS/OS slot arbitration, what
exactly is implemented so far??  I was using NiftyList 3.0 (positively COOL --
great job, Dave! :)) to trace the entry points for it and see what it did, but
I didn't actually spend the time to figure out what all the softswitches, etc.
it was twiddling were.

     Joseph F. Schober, Sysop, StarPort BBS [703/931-0947 - 3/12/2400 baud]

ProLine.: jschober@gnh-starport                          ======================
UUCP....: crash!gnh-starport!jschober                    Amer-Online:  JSchober
InterNet: jschober@gnh-starport.cts.com                  CompuServe: 72727,2765
ARPA....: crash!gnh-starport!jschober@nosc.mil           ======================

In article <0093A6B243B08DA0.00000111@dcs.simpact.com> jschober@gnh-starport.cts.com (Joey Schober) writes:

>Ummm, my silly question of the week: Speaking of GS/OS slot arbitration, what
>exactly is implemented so far??  I was using NiftyList 3.0 (positively COOL --
>great job, Dave! :)) to trace the entry points for it and see what it did, but
>I didn't actually spend the time to figure out what all the softswitches, etc.
>it was twiddling were.
>
>     Joseph F. Schober, Sysop, StarPort BBS [703/931-0947 - 3/12/2400 baud]

The Slot Arbiter currently only returns whether a given slot is available or
not.  If you request a slot that's not switched in, it returns with an error
code.

All of this is described in Apple IIgs Technical Note #69, "The Ins and Outs of
Slot Arbitration."

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."