[comp.sys.apple2] TWGS NDA,etc...

pmcd@nexus.YorkU.CA (Phil McDunnough) (07/27/90)

Distribution:na
fast speed(and even slow speed). I have become very
concerned about the TWGS, as 2 have died in 6 months on me. So is this
NDA safe to use?

Also, would people recommend leaving the computer, the HD, but not their
monitor on all the time? I have a Conserver fan from AE.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu(down for now)
[my opinions]

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (07/27/90)

In article <13171@yunexus.YorkU.CA>, pmcd@nexus.YorkU.CA (Phil McDunnough) says:

>fast speed(and even slow speed). I have become very
>concerned about the TWGS, as 2 have died in 6 months on me. So is this
>NDA safe to use?
>
>Also, would people recommend leaving the computer, the HD, but not their
>monitor on all the time? I have a Conserver fan from AE.
>
>Philip McDunnough
>University of Toronto
>philip@utstat.toronto.edu(down for now)
>[my opinions]

I have this >VERY< annoying problem with my GS.....it will NOT work when it's
"cold".  After I let it warm up for a while (say an hour, maybe less) things
start to mellow out.  Lately I've been leaving it on all the time and that
takes care of the problem, but this #@%%!W#% System Saver is sooooo loud, and
this new HD is prolly just as loud that they drive me nuts when I try to sleep.

Mike

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/28/90)

> concerned about the TWGS, as 2 have died in 6 months on me. So is this
> NDA safe to use?
>
> Also, would people recommend leaving the computer, the HD, but not
their
> monitor on all the time? I have a Conserver fan from AE.

My Apple IIgs has been on ever since I got it, with brief power-downs every
now and then to do some hardware swapping, but generally, 24 hours a day for 4
years.  I've had TWGS ever since they came out and it has been on 24-hours a
day as well.  No problems.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) (07/31/90)

In article <3460.apple.net2@pro-grouch>, rond@pro-grouch (Ron Dippold) writes:

>> Also, would people recommend leaving the computer, the HD, but not
>their
>> monitor on all the time? I have a Conserver fan from AE.
>
>My Apple IIgs has been on ever since I got it, with brief power-downs every
>now and then to do some hardware swapping, but generally, 24 hours a day for 4
>years.  I've had TWGS ever since they came out and it has been on 24-hours a
>day as well.  No problems.

How much electricity does a IIGS and external HD use if left on all
the time?  I would prefer to leave mine on and just turn the monitor
off, but my wife doesn't like that it "wastes" electricity.  I had heard
once that a personal computer uses about as much electricity as a
light bulb.  Can anyone confirm this?

Ray

Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7340 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |               | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/31/90)

> How much electricity does a IIGS and external HD use if left on all
> the time?  I would prefer to leave mine on and just turn the monitor
> off, but my wife doesn't like that it "wastes" electricity.  I had
heard
> once that a personal computer uses about as much electricity as a
> light bulb.  Can anyone confirm this?

SDG&E claims that a personal computer uses (gasp!) 2 cents a day worth of
electricity.  I'm not sure if that includes monitor and printer.  Let's say
the monitor uses twice that, the printer the same amount (in idle), and the
hard drive the same (you really should park it if you're not going to be using
it for a while).  That's 10 cents a day, or $3 a month for 24 hours a day.

mvk@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael V. Kent) (07/31/90)

In article <3537.apple.net2@pro-grouch> rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) writes:
>SDG&E claims that a personal computer uses (gasp!) 2 cents a day worth of
>electricity.  I'm not sure if that includes monitor and printer.  Let's say
>the monitor uses twice that, the printer the same amount (in idle), and the
>hard drive the same (you really should park it if you're not going to be using
>it for a while).  That's 10 cents a day, or $3 a month for 24 hours a day.

If I remember correctly, the Imagewriter I manual states that the IW uses
23 watts in idle mode.

Mike
mvk@pawl.rpi.edu