[comp.sys.apple2] Remember me, the one with the 3.5 drive problems?

TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET ("Ed 'Apple Guru' Moore") (07/31/90)

Well, I tried a head cleaning..didn't help.  I have more specific data
for you though....
I noticed when doing some disk coppies that about blook $600 the sound
got much louder...after finighting my copy, I went into the sector
editor..it coppied correctly, but whenever I switched TRACKS on the disk,
the sound would become more or less loud..If I went closer to track 4F,
it would get louder (From track to track, not sector to sector) and the
reverse away from 4F.  Someting like that tells me that my drives need
realignment....  But I'm not a hardware expert by any means (or a software
for that matter).  But I would highly appricate all input on the matter..
BTW, I though the 3.5 drives alligned themselves, or is that just
for speed?  Please reply to me or info-apple.....(or it's redistributation)
I'm sure the info could help others...
TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET
TSEMM@Acad3.fai.alaska.edu

P.S. Ron Dippold..I got your message you sent, but you never replied
to my messages...(Did they go to the Big Internet bucket in the sky?)

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (08/01/90)

> the sound would become more or less loud..If I went closer to track 4F,
> it would get louder (From track to track, not sector to sector) and the
> reverse away from 4F.  Someting like that tells me that my drives need
> realignment....  But I'm not a hardware expert by any means (or a
software
> for that matter).  But I would highly appricate all input on the
matter..
> BTW, I though the 3.5 drives alligned themselves, or is that just
> for speed?

I've seen a 3 1/2" drive head that eventually "came loose" and hung there on
the cable, not doing good things to any disk that was brought near it.  It
could be that your head "track" is tilted or something, so that the head is
rubbing on the surface of the disk more than it should, and more as you get
toward the end that is "down".

The 3.5" drives have speed control built in, but head alignment is done by
dealers, at juicy prices.

> P.S. Ron Dippold..I got your message you sent, but you never replied
> to my messages...(Did they go to the Big Internet bucket in the sky?)

Most things I try to send to you get rejected.  I assumed that the ones that I
didn't get a message back from made it through...

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com