[comp.sys.apple2] new uploads in comp.binaries

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (07/25/90)

Am I correct in assuming that 8/16 magazine is a gs thing?
What about the joystick stuff?

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (07/26/90)

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:

>Am I correct in assuming that 8/16 magazine is a gs thing?

Nope! They intended to cover both gs and 8-bit stuff.

My favorite article was a method of using the break vector to allow run-time
relocatable code -- it works on a ][+.

>What about the joystick stuff?

Should work on ANY apple.

There is somewhat of an error in the article about the biofeedback project:
the Joystick inputs could easily be used to read resistances greater than
150K -- you just have to write a better read routine than PREAD.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul25.175658.9367@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu>,
toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) says:

>ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:
>
>>Am I correct in assuming that 8/16 magazine is a gs thing?
>
>Nope! They intended to cover both gs and 8-bit stuff.

I was just going to yell for someone to post it in non-disk-archive format
so that those of us with only one 3.5" disk can unpack it, but a little
experimenting showed me that single-drive unpacks can be done. I know I'd
asked Andy for this capability before but even after he said he'd put
it in I hadn't been able to figure out how to do it. I'll post the
trick separately.

>>What about the joystick stuff?
>
>Should work on ANY apple.

Well, I guess that's good news. I got e-mail responses that both of these
WERE gs-only. I guess I'll have to try them.

Oh, wait a minute. From the rest of your response I think you
mean that there's some joystick stuff in the 8/16 disk you thought
I was referring to. Or were you?

WPW100@psuvm.psu.edu (Will Wong) (07/26/90)

In article <90206.161936ART100@psuvm.psu.edu>, Andy Tefft <ART100@psuvm.psu.edu>
says:

>I was just going to yell for someone to post it in non-disk-archive format
>so that those of us with only one 3.5" disk can unpack it, but a little
>experimenting showed me that single-drive unpacks can be done. I know I'd
But what about those of us w/ no 3.5 drive at all?  What do we do?

nrunyon%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Neil Runyon) (07/26/90)

>>>Am I correct in assuming that 8/16 magazine is a gs thing?

	One thing I wan to know...Isn't the 8/16 copyrighted?  I thought it
was, afterall it is the disk subscription to 8/16...so what is the deal with
it being posted?

Neil -
Neil M. Runyon			CyberSpace - Watch out for AI, they will rip
U of U - CS Dept				your eyes out...along with a
nrunyon@peruvian.utah.edu			few other vital body parts.

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (07/27/90)

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:

>>>What about the joystick stuff?
[ and I wrote ]
>>Should work on ANY apple.

>Well, I guess that's good news. I got e-mail responses that both of these
>WERE gs-only. I guess I'll have to try them.

>Oh, wait a minute. From the rest of your response I think you
>mean that there's some joystick stuff in the 8/16 disk you thought
>I was referring to. Or were you?

I didn't read your post carefully enough. The joystick mouse thing is GS only.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (07/28/90)

In article <90205.195257ART100@psuvm.psu.edu> ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:
>Am I correct in assuming that 8/16 magazine is a gs thing?

No.
It covers all II's - last few issues typically have one GS specific article.
And it suprisingly includes hardware projects.

I just started subscribing, and I would strongly recommend it.

---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center MN65-2100
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (07/30/90)

In article <90205.195257ART100@psuvm.psu.edu> ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:
>Am I correct in assuming that 8/16 magazine is a gs thing?

	Partially - there's techie stuff for both 8 bit and 16 bit stuff (hence
the name...). Of course, seeing as I'm already mentioning it, I might as well
spout a plug - my article is in Vol. 1, No. 5, and it's about how I go about
hacking at the tool vector.

>What about the joystick stuff?

	I have no idea what this means...

	Btw, someone asked about the legality/morality of posting the disk
version of 8/16 on comp.binaries.apple2 - if I remember correctly, the first
issue was given out as a teaser. If I did remember correctly, then it's ok to
distribute that one issue. Aside from that, though, it's wrong to distribute
any other issue of 8/16 on disk.

--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu

guillaum@shiva.trl.oz (andrew guillaume) (08/01/90)

In article WPW100@psuvm.psu.edu (Will Wong) writes:
>In article Andy Tefft <ART100@psuvm.psu.edu> says :
>>I was just going to yell for someone to post it in non-disk-archive format
>>so that those of us with only one 3.5" disk can unpack it, but a little
>>experimenting showed me that single-drive unpacks can be done. I know I'd
>But what about those of us w/ no 3.5 drive at all?  What do we do?

Good question ! What DO us people without a 3.5" drive do ?
While I'm at it, could anyone tell me what options there are for a
//c owner (like me :-) as regards 3.5" drives and hard disk drives.
I have an old //c, bought in 1985.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Andrew Guillaume
Telecom Research Labs, Melbourne, Australia
Internet : a.guillaume@trl.oz.au