[comp.sys.apple2] UniDos and SoundSmith questions

dalel@servio.UUCP (Dale LaFountain) (08/02/90)

Ok.  Two questions:

1)  I have heard good things about UniDos, but I am interested in using Dos3.3
with my new Prodos only HD (it's a PowerDrive w/ a Quantum 105meg drive). Can
UniDos be used to make "normal" Dos 3.3 partitions, or can it only be used
from a 3.5 disk?  I'm getting really tired of hauling all those 5.25" disks
to college and back with me. :-)

2) I just put SoundSmith .9 on my HD, and it doesn't want to run.  Is this an
impossible dream, or can it be done with the correct setup?  And yes, I'm
running System 5.02 with all the tools and such, and have configured SS to
work from a 3.5 in the past.

2.a)  Would someone be willing to mail SoundSmith .94 to me?  I dont't have
ftp access for another two months, and I've heard good things about it.
If so, please e-mail to dalel@pro-pac.cts.com and NOT my return path, as
I cannot retrieve files from dalel@servio.SLC.COM.

Thanks in advance,

Dale
dalel@servio.SLC.COM   for e-mail, non-program type data
dalel@pro-pac.cts.com  for e-mail, program type data
prophet@oxy.edu        for the heck of it.

wack@ee.udel.edu (214 Smith) (08/02/90)

In article <603@servio.UUCP> dalel@servio.UUCP (Dale LaFountain) writes:
>Ok.  Two questions:
>
>1)  I have heard good things about UniDos, but I am interested in using Dos3.3
>with my new Prodos only HD (it's a PowerDrive w/ a Quantum 105meg drive). Can
>UniDos be used to make "normal" Dos 3.3 partitions, or can it only be used
>from a 3.5 disk?  I'm getting really tired of hauling all those 5.25" disks
>to college and back with me. :-)

Well, sorry, I only have an answer to your first question :-)

I believe UniDos divides up a 3.5 disk into two 400K disks formatting them
as DOS 3.3, including the boot tracks.  This pretty well precludes using
it on a hard drive.  (I'm not 100% sure that it works this way, but its my
best guess, as its how I patched DOS 3.3 when I first got my GS, except I
used 7 partitions).

However, depending on your needs I may have the program you are looking for.
I wrote a program about 6 months ago to package up a DOS 3.3 5.25 disk as
a S16 file.  These can be stored on any prodos volume, and started from
the finder, a shell, etc.  The only problem is you can't write to this
5.25 (well you can, but the changes never make it back to the actual file.
Think of it as writing to a /ram disk and never copying it back to permanent
storage), and you have to reboot when you are done (since DOS 3.3 wants
control over all of bank 0 of memory, overwriting part of GS/OS).

I think I could make it do writes, and even quit nicely back to GS/OS, but
I didn't have enough time, its kind of sloppy  (I'm still using the P16
interface because I can't afford to buy the new manuals), the ORCA/C compiler
was driving me nuts (when the H**L is 1.1 coming out?  I keep hearing that
its here, but they haven't sent me my copy!  Anyone else get theirs?), and I
didn't think there was any interest.

If there is enough interest I could probably package the current version
up as an alpha release, and make it work as a desktop application (currently
it runs in the text environment)

Andrew Wack                              Gravitation cannot be held responsible
Internet : wack@udel.edu          for people falling in love -- Albert Einstein