[comp.sys.apple2] High Speed SCSI Woes

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Buster) (07/19/90)

Does anyone know at what interleave the Apple II High Speed SCSI Utillities
disk formats a Hard drive too?  I -thought- it was 1:1, but after reading
rmichel's message, I'm a little confused now.  If it DOESN'T format at 1:1,
could anyone recommend any software that will?  Also, Is System Disk 5.0.3
out?  I saw rmichel say something about it and was wondering if it was a
typo or if it's actually out.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/24/90)

In article <9007191449.AA18881@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Buster) writes:
>Does anyone know at what interleave the Apple II High Speed SCSI Utillities
>disk formats a Hard drive too?

As I recall, it gives you the choice of 1:1 or 2:1.  I always use 1:1
(DMA SCSI Card, TWGS, Seagate ST296N and Syquest SQ555).

>Also, Is System Disk 5.0.3 out?

Not officially, although developers have access to much of the new stuff
that would be in that release.

mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Michael Quinn) (07/28/90)

>As I recall, it gives you the choice of 1:1 or 2:1.

When I formatted my drive, it didn't ask. :(
 ----------------------------
| mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
| BITNET: mquinn@utcvm.BITNET|
| Artist GS+ Magazine        |
 ----------------------------

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (07/28/90)

In article <3718@crash.cts.com>, mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Michael Quinn) says:

>>As I recall, it gives you the choice of 1:1 or 2:1.
>
>When I formatted my drive, it didn't ask. :(
> ----------------------------
>| mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
>| BITNET: mquinn@utcvm.BITNET|
>| Artist GS+ Magazine        |
> ----------------------------

Then you just initialized it.  It DOES ask you when you format it.  Make sure
you try 1:1, as that is MUCH faster for me.

-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)        "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu                    -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!
I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (08/02/90)

(this isn't a reply to whoever the header says it is...)
I have 2 problems...

1.  I'm using CMS on an IBM 4381 ("VM" should be in there somewhere too).
    I can't send messages to this net UNLESS I tell it to reply to someone.
    How do I send just to the net?  Also... when I try to mail someone with
    e-mail address, this stupid system won't accept it.  I even tried my own!

2.  SOUND SMITH!  I have all the files in a folder on partition #2 on a 45meg d
rive.  The drive is divided into two 20meg partitions. (the sys. files are on p
artition #1...).  Anyway, the Ssmith files are in a folder named "SMITH"  I'm u
sing system disk 5.0.2 (YES! 5.0.2) installed onto my HD.  Tools 32 AND 33 are
in the */SYSTEM/TOOLS folder.  I booted up, pressed space, looked at the rev
#'s of the tools being loaded...  All were v03.00 EXCEPT! for:

Init Manager part 2 v03.01
Init Manager part 3 v03.01
ProDOS FST          v03.01

When I double click on the SSmith file OR the START file, it starts to load
then it says unable to boot error $0201 (not those exact words, but the number
is exact).  I know that $0201 is TLStartUp... In other words, it's having a
hard time finding a tool or something.

There are 6 files with my SSmith...:

DOC.DATA
INTRO.MUSIC
MAIN
SNDSMITH.SCREEN
SNDSMITH.SYS16
TITLE.SCREEN

Remember, these files are on a different partition than the system files.  I
also tried putting these files in */sounds/smith directory and I got the
same error.

BTW  SSmith 0.7 works just fine on 3.5" & HD.  0.9 (or0.94, I don't know which)
have never booted.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated (by more than myself!)

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (08/02/90)

I've got another problem... It has to do with putting DataTerm on a HD.
DataTerm is the software that comes with the Datalink 2400 internal modem.
Well, when I was using off a 3.5" disk a couple of weeks ago (just before I
got my HD), I had a few macros assigned to the option keys (closed apple keys).
They worked just fine from the 3.5"  Then I copied them to

*/Communications/Termprograms/DL

The program loaded when I selected it, but the macros didn't show up when
I typed [option+?].  They wouldn't load either when I typed then option key
+ they key I had the macro assigned to.  Also, the program loaded MUCH quicker!
... under 3 seconds! (YES! I KNOW, the hard drive is faster than the 3.5") but
it didn't do everything during the load that the one on the 3.5" did.
When it ran from the 3.5", it came up with the title screen, waited about 3 sec
onds (why did it wait so long doing NOTHING?  it's VERY anoying!), then it
printed a semi-help file, telling you, that if all else fails, READ THE MANUALS
Well, that part didn't happen when I tried it from the HD.

So moved ALL thee DL files out of the folders and onto the root directory.  It
STILL didn't work.  So I renamed the partition (BTW it was the boot partition)
to DL... the same name the disk had... and it STILL didn't work!  What am I
doing wrong?  (BTW, I DID read the manual).

In article <9008020421.AA20381@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
>When I double click on the SSmith file OR the START file, it starts to load
>then it says unable to boot error $0201 (not those exact words, but the number
>is exact).  I know that $0201 is TLStartUp... In other words, it's having a
>hard time finding a tool or something.

Tool function $0201 is indeed TLStartUp.  However, functions and error codes
aren't the same thing.

ERROR $0201 is "unable to allocate handle".  This generally means that you
don't have enough memory, or someone is using the specific memory needed.  In
this case, it almost certainly means not enough memory.  Try removing some
DAs or inits to free up some space (or make the Nifty List data file purgeable,
if you haven't already).

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."