[comp.sys.apple2] Inter-Network Mail

96975089@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU (Ken Smith) (08/02/90)

I am trying to send mail to a friend of mine who has a Genie and AOL account.
I recently found a file describing how to send messages between networks such
as applelink, compuserve, internet, and a number of others.

1:
   Is there a difference between AOL and applelink? i.e. if i sent mail to him
via useid@applelink.apple.com would it get to his AOL account?

2:
   If the above won't work, is it possible to send stuff to Genie?  It wasn't
listed in the file (dated feb 15 1990)

Thanks for the Help!

BTW:  If anyone wants to look at this file let me know.  It lists networks like
     fidonet, mcimail, usdanet, bix, FAX, nasanet, and a number of others.
     It lists about 15-20 networks total.

Ken Smith

Bitnet:    96975089@WSUVM1
Internet:  96975089@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (08/02/90)

In article <9008011929.AA00431@apple.com> 96975089@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU (Ken Smith) writes:
>1:
>   Is there a difference between AOL and applelink? i.e. if i sent mail to him
>via useid@applelink.apple.com would it get to his AOL account?

Yes, there's a difference:  they are completely separate things.  I don't
know of any way to mail from internet to America Online (or to GEnie).
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

DHH102@psuvm.psu.edu (08/03/90)

As of now, as far as I know, there is no way to reach America on line
or to reach Genie. This is fairly recent information too. I haven't heard
any info about either of them trying to gain access either. The only
one that I know of that has access at the moment is compuserve.. and
I think well, might, but don't quote me on that.

     Doug Hughes

garym@pro-fishunt.cts.com (Gary McClain) (08/03/90)

>If anyone wants to look at this file.....

Yes please post. Should be of interest to many.

Thanks.
 ProLine: garym@pro-fishunt
Internet: garym@pro-fishunt.cts.com
    UUCP: crash!pro-fishunt!garym